Students with Disabilities Abroad

Research your destination and talk with your study abroad advisor about challenges and accommodation abroad. Think about the following:

  • Will my disability affect which programs I consider?
    (Your study abroad coordinator needs to know if you need any special accommodation.  Be aware that some locations may not be suitable or have available accommodation. Our first priority is to help you have a safe and positive experience abroad-and that means that you need to plan and discuss your plans with all the support offices, including study abroad!  Health conditions and/or disability considerations are not factored into EMU application decisions.)
  • How will I plan ahead to manage my condition abroad?
  • What barriers might I encounter (both in planning to go abroad, and while abroad), and how will I overcome them?
  • If I utilize academic, medical, psychological or other resources at EMU, will I be able to utilize these resources abroad? Where can I find the resources I need?
  • Housing: Will the housing work for me? All faculty-led programs fees are based on multiple occupancy accommodations. Many exchanges are also based on double occupancy. If a single room is requested on these programs, the student will have to pay a single room cost supplement. On faculty-led programs it is important to contact the study abroad office coordinator immediately on acceptance, and discuss any special accommodation you may need. Know the available housing options and costs


Skip Section Navigation