A photo of Geddes Town Hall School

Geddes Town Hall School

The Geddes Town Hall School is used by EMU for various classes and social functions. It is available to groups external to EMU. There is no charge to use the building, but a donation to help with the upkeep of the school is greatly appreciated.

  • Donate Expand dropdown

    There are three ways you can help the Geddes Town Hall School:

    1. Become a member of the "Friends of the Geddes Town Hall Schoolhouse" for only $10 a year. Membership Form [PDF]
    2. Purchase a copy of Hannah Geddes Wright's history of the schoolhouse, "Down the Myrtle Path". All proceeds from the sale of this book benefit the Geddes Town Hall School. Use this order form [PDF] to place an order.
    3. The College of Education welcomes donations to the Geddes Town Hall School in the form of appropriate artifacts from the time period of the schoolhouse. We particularly need desks, text books, and other country school memorabilia.
  • History Expand dropdown

    The Town Hall School, built on the Geddes farm, carries with it a rich family and educational tradition. The first Geddes came to this area in 1824 and the family possesses the 1827 deed to the farm signed by President John Quincy Adams. In 1852, William Geddes leased land for a term of 99 years at the corner of Morgan and Thomas roads to build a school. The Pitt (now Pittsfield) district paid six cents per year for the lease.

    The first Town Hall School was a brick building constructed in 1852. The existing wooden structure was built in 1895, at a cost of $677.50. This one-room school served as a social center for families in the community. Holiday celebrations were highlights of the year for all. From the 1880s, until its doors closed in 1957, student enrollment remained in the 30-40 range. One year, during the Depression there were only two students in attendance. At least 97 teachers taught here during the 105 years that the school was in session.

    Michigan State Normal School, as originally named, was one of the first public teacher training institutions west of the Allegheny Mountains. As Eastern Michigan University’s official Michigan sesquicentennial project, the Town Hall School was moved to the campus on July 7, 1987, and dedicated on October 22, 1988. It stands as a symbol of the University’s commitment to teacher education.

    The Town Hall School brings history to life for current and future generations of students.

Skip Section Navigation