Eastern Michigan University
direct edit
Front image

Continuing Certification

Michigan teachers are required to periodically update their teaching certificates, and the State rules to do so are complicated. Staff in the College of Education's Office of Academic Services can advise teachers on the requirements for updating certificates and on how to add new endorsements to certificates. Teachers may arrange to meet with an advisor, or if they have quick questions, may contact an advisor at coe_advising@emich.edu or 734.487.1416.

NOTE: In 2011 Michigan passed school and tenure reform bills affecting all levels of teacher certification. The Continuing Certification webpages are revised to reflect these changes. The revised Teacher Certification Code can be viewed here.

  • Admission

    When applying for admission for continuing certification, you will use a graduate application form. You need to choose the appropriate admission category from the following:

    • Degree (master's, specialist, etc.)
    • Professional teacher certification (taking classes to earn your professional certificate), or
    • Teacher endorsement (only adding an endorsement).

    If you are unsure of your interests, simply apply as a graduate "non-degree" student. Do not use the undergraduate application to take classes for continuing certification.

    Information about admission, including the application form and other required documents, can be found on the Undergraduate Admissions' website. The Office of Admissions is located in 401 Pierce Hall and can be reached at 1.800.GO.TO.EMU.

    EMU has four academic terms:

    • Fall (September – December)
    • Winter (January – April)
    • Summer (May – June and July – August)

    Although it is not a requirement, it is in your best interest to send materials at least two months before you wish to register for classes. Registration for Summer and Fall semesters begins in March. Registration for Winter semester begins in November.

  • Registration

    Before registration, if you plan to add an endorsement, you will need to meet with a faculty advisor to have a program of study written.

    If you will be working toward a master's degree, your program advisor can assist you with course selection. Please visit the Graduate Students section.

    Visit the Registration Information page in the Undergraduate Students section for more about setting up and using your my.emich account.

  • Tuition, Fees, & Billing
    For current tuition rates, fees, and the paperless billing system (eBill), visit the Student Business Services website.
  • Types of Teachers EMU Prepares

    The currently approved undergraduate majors and minors are listed on the Types of Teachers page.

    Information about graduate degree programs offered through the College of Education can be found in the Degrees and Programs section.