- Ph.D. University of Kentucky
- MS, Illinois State University
- BS, Illinois State University
Interests and Expertise
His primary research interests are in the applied areas of:
- Public ﬁnance
- The shadow economy
His research has been published/is forthcoming in economic journals such as:
- Public Choice
- Public Finance Review
- Applied Economics
- Economic Modelling
- Southern Economic Journal
- The World Economy
- Review of Development Economics
- Contemporary Economic Policy
- Principles of macroeconomics
- Intermediate macroeconomics
- Government finance (undergraduate and graduate)
- Econometric analysis
- Macroeconomic analysis (graduate)
- Macroeconometrics and time series analysis (graduate)
- Research seminar in economics (graduate)
Publications and Presentations
- "Give me Liberty, or I'll Produce Underground: Effects of Economic Freedom on the Shadow Economy" with Aziz Berdiev and Friedrich Schneider, forthcoming in Southern Economic Journal.
- "Drivers of the Underground Economy for Over a Century: A Long Term Look for the United States" with Rajeev Goel and Friedrich Schneider, forthcoming in Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance.
- "Corruption and the Shadow Economy: A One-way or Two-way Street?" with Rajeev Goel and Aziz Berdiev, forthcoming in The World Economy.
- "Growth in the Shadows: Effect of the Shadow Economy on U.S. Economic Growth Over More than a Century" with Rajeev Goel and Friedrich Schneider, forthcoming in Contemporary Economic Policy.
- "Revisiting the Relationship Between the Economy and Crime: The Role of the Shadow Economy" with Michael Rocque and Emily Marshall, forthcoming in Justice Quarterly.
- "Corruption and Entrepreneurship: Cross-country Evidence from Formal and Informal Sectors" with Aziz Berdiev, Southern Economic Journal 84(3), 2018, 832–848.
- "Does Globalization Affect the Shadow Economy?" with Aziz Berdiev, The World Economy , 41(1), 2018, 222–241.
- "Unemployment and international shadow economy: Gender differences" with Rajeev Goel, forthcoming in Applied Economics, 49(58), 2018, 5828–5840.
- "Is the Shadow Economy a Bane or Boon for Economic Growth?", Review of Development Economics, 22(1), 2018, 115–132.
- "Dynamics of Knowledge Spillovers from Patents to Entrepreneurship: Evidence Across Entrepreneurship Types" with Rajeev Goel, Contemporary Economic Policy, 35(4), 2017, 700–715.
- "Entrepreneurship and Economic Freedom: Cross-Country Evidence from Formal and Informal Sectors" with Aishath Sajny (student), Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 29, 2017, 292–316.
- "The Nexus of White Collar Crimes: Shadow Economy, Corruption, and Uninsured Motorists" with Rajeev Goel, Applied Economics, 31, 2017, 3032–3044.
- "Financial Development and the Shadow Economy: A panel VAR Analysis" with Aziz Berdiev. Economic Modelling, 57, 2016, 197–207.
- "Exploring the Dynamics of the Shadow Economy Across US States" with Aziz Berdiev and Cullen Pasquesi-Hill (Student), Applied Economics, 47(56), 2015, 6136–6147.
- "Intranational and International Knowledge Flows: Effects on the Formal and Informal Sectors" with Rajeev Goel and Xingyuan Zhang, Contemporary Economic Policy, 34(2), 2016, 297–311.
- "Casting a Long Shadow? Cross-border Spillovers of Shadow Economy across American States" with Rajeev Goel, Public Finance Review, 44(5), 2016, 610–634.
- "Government Decentralization and Prevalence of the Shadow Economy" with Rajeev Goel, Public Finance Review, 44(2), 2016, 263–288.
- "The Dynamics of the Revenue-Expenditure Nexus in State Government Finances" Public Finance Review, 43(1), 2015, 108–134.
- "Global Corruption and the Shadow Economy: Spatial Aspects" with Rajeev Goel, Public Choice, 161(1–2), 2014, 119–139.
For other publications, see Dr. Saunoris' website.
For more information on Dr. Saunoris' research and teaching, visit his website.