Mehmet E. Yaya
Associate Professor of Economics, Graduate Coordinator
Winter (1/3/18 - 4/24/18)
MW - 9:30am-11:00am
T - 9:30am-11:00am, 3:00pm-5:00pm
*Also by appointment
Ph.D. in Economics, University of Alabama, 2009
M.S. in Finance, University of Alabama, 2009
M.A. in Economics, University of Alabama, 2006
MBA, Auburn University, 2004
B.S. in International Trade, Bogazici University, 2003
Interests and Expertise
Dr. Mehmet E. Yaya has joined the Department of Economics in 2009. His research interests include immigration, inequality, economic development, and terrorism. He regularly teaches, undergraduate and graduate courses in labor economics and international economics. Dr. Yaya is currently the faculty advisor for Omicron Delta Epsilon: Honorary Society in Economics.
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
1. “Testing the Dependency Theory on Small Island Economies: The Case of Cyprus,” with Mehmet Balcilar and Ali M. Kutan, Economic Modelling, 61, 2017, 1-11.
2. “Financial Integration in Small Islands: The Case of Cyprus,” with Mehmet Balcilar and Ali M. Kutan, International Review of Economics and Finance, 47, 2017, 201-219.
3. “Armed Conflict and Financial and Economic Risk: Evidence from Colombia,” with Ali M. Kutan, Risk Management,18(2–3), 2016, 159–87.
4. “The Impact of the ACA’s Extension of Coverage to Dependents on Young Adults’ Access to Care and Prescription Drugs,” with Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes, Southern Economic Journal, 83(1), 2016, 25–44.
5. “Within Inequality Characteristics and Adaptation of Immigrants in the United States,” Review of Economics of the Household, 4(3), 2016, 695-714.
6. “Persistence of Institutions, Openness to Trade and Economic Growth: New Evidence,” with Michael Bonnal, Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, 51(6), 2015, 1276-1291.
7. “More on Non-White Poverty and Economic Growth,” with Sondra Collins and Gary Hoover, Journal of Income Distribution, 20(1), 2011, 63-82.
8. “Racial and Ethnic Income Inequality Responses to a Government Maintenance Program in the US,” with Gary Hoover, Public Finance Review, 39(3), 2011, 462-478.
9. “Gender Differences in Income Inequality among Immigrant Populations to the United States,” with Gary Hoover, Social Science Journal, 47, 2010, 593-608.
10. “Racial and Ethnic Differences in Income Inequality across U.S. Regions,” with Gary Hoover, Review of Black Political Economy, 37(2), 2010, 79-114.
11. “Terrorism and Tourism: The Case of Turkey,” Defence and Peace Economics, 20(6), 2009, 477-497.
1. “Poverty by Race, Ethnicity, and Gender in the U.S.,'' in Robert Rycroft (Eds.), The American Middle Class: An Economic Encyclopedia of Progress and Poverty , Greenwood/ABC-CLIO Publishers, 2016, 255-258.
2. “Analysis of Poverty and the Provision of Social Assistance,” with Gary Hoover, in Steven Payson (Eds.), Public Economics: The Government's Role in American Economics , Praeger/ABC-CLIO Publishers, Vol. 1(10), pp. 239-262.
You can view Dr. Yaya's web page at http://people.emich.edu/myaya.