Introduction to LGBTQ+ Identities and Inclusive Language
The Spectrum Center's Introduction to LGBTQ+ Identities & Inclusive Language Workshop was designed to support an individual, department, or organization in their knowledge development of LGBTQ+ terminology, inclusivity, and advocacy.
Learning objectives included:
- Understand terminology related to LGBTQ identities
- Gain familiarity with various identity terms outside the gender binary
- Make distinctions between sex assigned at birth, gender identity, gender expression, and attractionality (sexual orientation)
- Critically think about the societal construction and expectations of gender identity and gender expression
- Identify some practical strategies for working to create an inclusive space for LGBTQ+ folks
This was an introductory workshop, yet the content is fundamental to building a safe and inclusive environment.
- Elizabeth Gonzalez (she/her/hers)