The Liggit Family and Friends Teaching & Learning Partnership Scholarship
- Applications must be submitted online through Competition Space.
- Due Date: March 5 , 2019 at 5 p.m.
Tell your story, win a scholarship! The Liggit Family and Friends Teaching and Learning Partnership scholarship was created to capture, communicate and celebrate unique and effective connections made by teachers and learners at EMU.
- Award - The endowment annually awards a $1,000 scholarship to an instructor-student pair (each will receive $500) who exemplify an outstanding example of an effective teaching and learning partnership. Applicants will describe how each contributed to the process of creating this partnership in learning. The instructor award will be in the form of a $500 honorarium (additional compensation). The student need not be enrolled the semester the award is given, but if there are outstanding EMU fees, these monies will go toward paying off any outstanding student debt to EMU. If the student is going to graduate the semester the award is given and there are no outstanding fees, any remaining amount of the $500 award will be refunded to the student.
- Eligibility - The instructor may be a Tenured or Tenure-Track Faculty, Full-Time or Part-Time Lecturer, or Adjunct. The student may be an undergraduate or graduate but must be in good standing with all university policies.
- Review - Applications will be reviewed by the Faculty Development Center Advisory Council on March 25, 2019, and recommendations for scholarship winners will be given to the grant administrator for a final decision.
- Scholarship Announcement - The winner of the Teaching and Learning Partnership will be announced on April 26, 2019 in conjunction with the Thank-an-Eagle Celebration from 9:30–11 a.m. in room 310AB Student Center.
Past Scholarship Recipients:
- Dr. Jeannette Kindred and Student Taj Abdullah (Communication, Media & Theatre Arts)
- Professor Chelsea Lonsdale and Student Tyler Johnson (English Language and Literature)
- Dr. Camilla McComb and Student Amber Resseguie (Art)
- Dr. Barbara Walters and Student Courtney Bailey (Social Work)
- Special Recognition: Dr. Katherine Ryker and Student Stephanie Porcari (Geography and Geology)
A few words about the inspiration of this scholarship
"The connections made by good teachers are held not in their methods but in their hearts, meaning heart in its ancient sense, as a place where intellect and emotion and spirit and will converge in the human self."
— Parker Palmer, Courage to Teach
"Teaching and learning are two different functions – two separate and distinct processes. . . .teaching is carried out by one person while the process of learning goes on inside another. . . .if teaching-learning processes are to work effectively, a unique kind of relationship must exist between these two separate organisms – some kind of a ‘connection,’ link, or bridge between the teacher and the learner."
—Thomas Gordon, T.E.T. Teacher Effectiveness Training
Teaching is the foundation of the Liggit family tree! From great grandmas to grand nieces, the Liggit family consists of a great number of school teachers, professors, tutors, coaches, and instructors. The Liggit Family and Friends Teaching & Learning Partnership endowment was founded in honor of our parents, Dr. Joseph and Mary Liggit, and is dedicated to all of our family members and friends who have devoted their lives to student-centered learning. We thank all donors whose contributions have made this scholarship possible.
In celebration of all who embody teaching and learning with heart, this scholarship recognizes instructional staff and their student partners who have placed the learning experience above and beyond the challenges and barriers faced while on their academic journey together.
Share Your Learning Story with Us!
Click and watch to see how these teaching and learning partnerships began!
Chelsea Lonsdale and Tyler Johnson
Katherine Ryker and Stephanie Porcari
Faye Askew-King and Victoria Lawrence
Please email the FDC at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!