Families and Guests
We consider you, the family, an integral part of the collegiate experience. That's why we invite you to attend Orientation programming with your student.
EMU Orientation (held virtual or in-person)is an event where you and your student can get the "business" of becoming an EMU student done. It will include a meeting with an advisor from their academic college, small group time led by a peer mentor, presentations from Financial Aid, Academic Advising, Student Business Services, and more. EMU Orientation is how a new student commits to attending Eastern Michigan University. The program runs from March through August.
EMU welcomes families and guests (two guests/family members maximum per student); however, there are no child care services available during this program.
EMU Connect is EMU’s three-day fall kickoff program that includes move-in for on-campus residents as well as activities to acquaint you with EMU and our community. This year, EMU Connect will begin on Friday, August 27, 2021. Your student will receive more information about EMU Connect to their student email (@emich.edu) in the coming weeks and months.
Whether this event is held virtually or in-person, we invite you to attend day one of EMU Connect, Friday, August 27, 2021. Each student may bring up to four guests/family members; however, please note that there are no child care services available during this program.
Learn more about Orientation & Transition Programming.
Great References for Family Members
- College and Parents: Includes a one-stop shop for vital information and guidance leading to and through college.
- College Board: a resource for families who have commuter students.
- EMU's Public Safety: Includes information on campus safety, crime statistics and police advisories.
- FAFSA: Your guide for completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online and answering questions about federal aid for college.
- Financial Aid: Get answers to your questions regarding financial aid, loans, college work study, payment schedules and more.
- EMU Credit Union (EMUCU): Convenient on-campus and online banking options. Set up your student’s EMUCU account online to easily transfer funds and check out their EMUCU student account package. Designed for your student’s lifelong financial education.
Resources to Consider for Families and Parents
- Let the Journey Begin: A Parent's Monthly Guide to the College Experience – Jacqueline Kiernan MacKay and Wanda Johnson Ingram (Houghton Mifflin Company, 2002)
- Letting Go: A Parent's Guide to Understanding the College Years – Karen Levin Coburn and Madge Lawrence Treeger (Perennial)
- I'll Miss You Too: A Parent and Student Guide to Opening Doors and Staying Connected During the College Years – Margo E. Bane Woodacre and Steffany Bane (Sourcebooks Inc., 2005)
- You're on Your Own (But I'm Here if You Need Me): Mentoring Your Child During the College Years – Marjorie Savage (Fireside Press, 2003)
- Making the Most of College: Students Speak Their Minds – Richard J. Light (Harvard University Press, 2001)
We also recommend checking out the Parent Suggested Reading list [PDF].