Ph.D., Wayne State University
BiographyDr. Beaubien teaches courses in elementary social studies methods, early childhood education, and urban education. Her research has also focused on those areas in addition to the history of education.
She has received many awards since coming to EMU, including:
- New Faculty Research Award
- Outstanding Faculty in Classroom Instruction from the Holman Learning Center
- Faculty of Excellence Award from the College of Education
- Dean's Award for Innovative Teaching College of Education (twice)
- Women of Excellence Award Eastern Michigan University's Women Center
- Alumni Teaching Excellence Award
- Eastern Michigan University's most prestige's honor, the Ronald W. Collins Distinguished Faculty Teaching I award
- College Educator of the Year from the Michigan Council for the Social Studies
- Fellow to the R. Freeman Butts Institute on Civic Learning in Teacher Education
- Fellow to the Transatlantic Outreach Program Goethe-Institut Washington
Dr. Beaubien's research has been published in journals such as Young Children and the Journal of Research of Childhood Education. She has presented at over 50 national conferences. She has served as a board member for the Poverty and Social Reform Institute and the Waldorf Institute. Also, Dr. Beaubien was a teacher in Detroit Public Schools and an administrator in Plymouth-Canton Community schools before coming to EMU.
- Beaubien, B., Tonso, K. (Winter 2007) Elizabeth Cady Stanton's views on Social Justice in Education. Advancing Women in Leadership
- Beaubien, B., (Spring 2007) Elizabeth Cady Stanton's advice to parents. Association for Childhood Education International Focus on Infants and Toddlers (Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 1–8).
- Beaubien, B. (2013) The Children's Building. Young Children. National Association for the Education of Young Children. Vol. 68 no.4.
- Beaubien, B., Williams, L. (2013) Princess Hair In J. Landsman, R. Simmons, S. Grineski (Eds.) Going Deeper: Conversations about Race and Racism. STERLING, VA: Stylus Press
- Williams, L., Beaubien, B. (in press) Supporting Literate Identities in Young African-American Boys. In V.C. Polite., J.E. Davis (Eds.) Manly Deeds and Scholarship: Strategies for Academic and Social Development of Black Males. VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- ECE 214 Child Development
- ECE 307 Young Children in Peril: Educational Implications
- ECE 343 Advocacy, Leadership and Policy
- ECE 379 Social Studies and the Young Learner
- ECE 591 Developing Creative Early Childhood Professionals
- ECE 600 History of Early Childhood Education
- ECE 601 Implementing Curriculum for Children in Crisis
- ECE 602 Philosophy and Methods of Early Childhood Education
- ECE 604 Administration and Leadership in Early Childhood Programs
- ECE 607 Leadership and Professionalism in ECE
- ECE 693 Seminar (Final Master's Project)
- CURR 308 Integrated Social Studies Methods
- SOFD 550 Philosophy and Ethics of Education
- URED 811 An Exploration of Urban Education: History, Theory, Policy and Practice
- Dr. Beaubien's research is focused on race in preschool classrooms and civics in Teacher Preparation Programs.