- Ed.D., Northern Arizona University
- M.A., The University of Arizona
- B.A./B.Ed., York University (Canada)
Michael McVey was a high school English and Special Education teacher in Canada, Japan, and Arizona. He is an elected Trustee for the Saline Area Schools and is an active member of the Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB). He shares his images and insights regularly through his Twitter account, @TrusteeMcVey. He also serves as an elected Director for the newly merged International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) and Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) and shares insights through his Twitter account @mcveym.
Interests and Expertise
- Emerging Technologies in the Classroom
- Challenges of Digital Scholarship
- The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)
- Immersive Virtual Worlds (IVWs)
- School Boards
- LTEC 330 Instructional Applications of Media and Technology
- LTEC 602 Student and Technology-Centered Learning
Publications and Presentations
- McVey, M. H. (2022). Designing Digital Assessment Strategies in Teacher Preparation: A Case Study. In C. Webb & A. Lindner (Eds.), Preparing Pre-Service Teachers to Integrate Technology in K-12 Classrooms: Standards and Best Practices (pp. 150-166). IGI Global.
- Kim, Y. C., McVey, M., & Hung, J.-H. (2021). Theorizing Shadow Education and Academic Success in East Asia: Understanding the Meaning, Value, and Use of Shadow Education by East Asian Students in Studies in Curriculum Theory Series. (Kim, Y. C. & Jung, J.-H. Eds.). Routledge.
- Jin, Y., Clausen, J. M., Elkordy, A., Greene, K., & McVey, M. (2023). Design principles for modeled experiences in technology-infused teacher preparation. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education (CITE-General), 23(1).
- McVey, M. (2020). The Necessity of Preparing to Teacher Candidates to Teach Online in A. Borthwick, T. Foulger, & K. Graziano (Eds.) Championing Technology Infusion in Teacher Preparation. ISTE.
- McVey, M. (2017). Pre-Service Teachers' Perception of Assessment Strategies in Online Teaching. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education (JDLTE), 32, 119–127.
- McVey, M. (2017). Teaching emerging technologies to pre-service teacher candidates. In J. L. Bernstein (ed.), Spiraling upward: The scholarship of teaching and learning at EMU (1st ed., Vol. 3rd). Eastern Michigan University.
- McVey, M. and Maylone, N. (2016). Highlights of the Education Summit: Building Strong Urban Schools. Eastern Michigan University.
- Cooke, B., Weeden, S., McVey, M. (2013). Underage Children and Social Networking. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 45(3), 249–261.
- McVey, M. (2009). Observations of expert communicators in immersive virtual worlds: Implications for synchronous discussion. ALT-J Research on Learning Technology, 16, 173–181.
- McVey, M. (2009). To block or not to block? The complicated territory of social networking. School Business Affairs, 75, 27–28.
- McVey, M. (2022). “Designing Digital Assessment Strategies in Teacher Preparation.” Society for Information Technology in Teacher Education (SITE) Online Conference. Virtual Paper Presentation. October 2022.
- McVey, M., Karchmer-Klein, R., Clausen, J., Deiker, L., Kennedy, M. J., Webb, L., Sykora, C., & Moody, R. (2023) “Translating the Technology Pledge into Practice: How the Digital Equity & Transformation Pledge Creates Digital Efficacy at EPPs,” AACTE Annual Meeting. Indianapolis, IN. (February 2023)
- McVey, M., MACUL Annual Conference, "Drones in the Classroom: An Introduction," Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning (MACUL), Detroit, MI. (March 16, 2017).
- McVey, M., World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (eLearn), Washington, DC, "Hesitating to Collaborate: Understanding why Pre-Service Teachers Avoid Collaborative Learning Affordances," Academic, International, Refereed. (November 15, 2016).
- McVey, M., AACTE Annual meeting, American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education, Las Vegas, NV, "Training Pre-Service Candidates to Assess Learning in Online Environments" (February 23, 2016).
- McVey, M., Brunei International Conference on Education, Bandar, Brunei Darussalam, Keynote: "The Unexpected Challenges of Educational Technology", (May 22, 2012).
- McVey, M., Teaching and Learning in the Cloud, MACUL (Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning), Holland, Michigan, "Cloud Computing to Enhance Communication". (October 22, 2010).
- McVey, M., 2010 Midwest Moodle Moot, Goshen College, Goshen, IN, "Getting Pre-Service Teachers Thinking about Moodle". (July 28, 2010).
Grants, Honors and Awards
- Ronald Collins Award for Service, Eastern Michigan University (2020)
- College of Education, Outstanding Faculty Award (2021)
- Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB), Master Platinum Board Member (2021)
- American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education (AACTE), 2015 to present
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), 2007 to present
- Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB), 2017 to present