- Ed.D., Northern Arizona University
- M.A., The University of Arizona
- B.A./B.Ed., York University (Canada)
Michael McVey was a high school English and Special Education teacher in Canada, Japan, and Arizona. He is an elected Trustee for the Saline Area Schools and is an active member of the Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB). He shares his images and insights regularly through his Twitter account, @TrusteeMcVey. He also serves as an elected Director for the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) and shares insights through his Twitter account @mcveym.
Interests and Expertise
- Emerging Technologies in the Classroom
- Challenges of Digital Scholarship
- The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)
- Immersive Virtual Worlds (IVWs)
- Social Media in Education
- LTEC 330 Instructional Applications of Media and Technology
- LTEC 510 Online Teaching: Basics
- LTEC 602 Student and Technology-Centered Learning
- LTEC 627 Advanced Technical Issues in Educational Technology
- LTEC 653 Issues and Emerging Educational Technologies
- LTEC 695 Seminar / Capstone
Publications and Presentations
- Kim, Y. C., McVey, M., & Hung, J.-H. (2021). Theorizing Shadow Education and Academic Success in East Asia: Understanding the Meaning, Value, and Use of Shadow Education by East Asian Students in Studies in Curriculum Theory Series. (Kim, Y. C. & Jung, J.-H. Eds.). Routlege.
- McVey, M. (2020). The Necessity of Preparing to Teacher Candidates to Teach Online in A. Borthwick, T. Foulger, & K. Graziano (Eds.) Championing Technology Infusion in Teacher Preparation. ISTE.
- McVey, M. (2017). Pre-Service Teachers' Perception of Assessment Strategies in Online Teaching. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education (JDLTE), 32, 119–127.
- McVey, M. (2017). Teaching emerging technologies to pre-service teacher candidates. In J. L. Bernstein (ed.), Spiraling upward: The scholarship of teaching and learning at EMU (1st ed., Vol. 3rd). Eastern Michigan University.
- McVey, M. and Maylone, N. (2016). Highlights of the Education Summit: Building Strong Urban Schools. Eastern Michigan University.
- McVey, M. (2016). Review of the book MOOCs and Open Education around the World by C. J. Bonk, M. M. Lee, T. C. Reeves and T. H. Reynolds (Eds.). UNESCO International Review of Education.
- McVey, M. (2015). New Frontiers in Teacher Preparation. MACUL Journal.
- Cooke, B., Weeden, S., McVey, M. (2013). Underage Children and Social Networking. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 45(3), 249–261.
- McVey, M. (2009). Observations of expert communicators in immersive virtual worlds: Implications for synchronous discussion. ALT-J Research on Learning Technology, 16, 173–181.
- McVey, M. (2009). To block or not to block? The complicated territory of social networking. School Business Affairs, 75, 27–28.
- McVey, M., MACUL Annual Conference, "Drones in the Classroom: An Introduction," Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning (MACUL), Detroit, MI. (March 16, 2017).
- McVey, M., World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (eLearn), Washington, DC, "Hesitating to Collaborate: Understanding why Pre-Service Teachers Avoid Collaborative Learning Affordances," Academic, International, Refereed. (November 15, 2016).
- McVey, M., AACTE Annual meeting, American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education, Las Vegas, NV, "Training Pre-Service Candidates to Assess Learning in Online Environments" (February 23, 2016).
- McVey, M., Brunei International Conference on Education, Bandar, Brunei Darussalam, Keynote: "The Unexpected Challenges of Educational Technology", (May 22, 2012).
- McVey, M., Teaching and Learning in the Cloud, MACUL (Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning), Holland, Michigan, "Cloud Computing to Enhance Communication". (October 22, 2010).
- McVey, M., 2010 Midwest Moodle Moot, Goshen College, Goshen, IN, "Getting Pre-Service Teachers Thinking about Moodle". (July 28, 2010).
- McVey, M., MACUL Annual Conference, Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning (MACUL), Grand Rapids, MI, "Create a Small-Scale Social Network for Your Classroom Using NING". (March 11, 2010).
- McVey, M., Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Speaker's Series, Faculty Development Center, Eastern Michigan University, "Teaching with Social Networking: Moving from Potential to Practice". (October 5, 2009).
Grants, Honors and Awards
- Ronald Collins Award for Service, Eastern Michigan University (2020)
- College of Education, Outstanding Faculty Award (2021)
- MASB, Master Platinum Board Member (2021)
- American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education (AACTE), 2015 to present
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), 2007 to present
- Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB), 2017 to present