- Ed.D., Northern Arizona University
- M.A., The University of Arizona
- B.A./B.Ed., York University (Canada)
McVey is an active member of the Michigan Association of School Boards and serves as a Trustee for Saline Area Schools. He shares his images and insights regularly through his Twitter, @TrusteeMcVey.
- McVey, M. (2017). Pre-Service Teachers' Perception of Assessment Strategies in Online Teaching. Journal of Digital Learning in Teacher Education (JDLTE), 32, 119–127.
- McVey, M. (2017). Teaching emerging technologies to pre-service teacher candidates. In J. L. Bernstein (ed.), Spiraling upward: The scholarship of teaching and learning at EMU (1st ed., Vol. 3rd). Ypsilanti, MI: Eastern Michigan University.
- McVey, M. and Maylone, N. (2016). Highlights of the Education Summit: Building Strong Urban Schools. College of Education, Eastern Michigan University.
- McVey, M. (2016). Review of the book MOOCs and Open Education around the World by C. J. Bonk, M. M. Lee, T. C. Reeves and T. H. Reynolds (Eds.). UNESCO International Review of Education.
- McVey, M. (2015). New Frontiers in Teacher Preparation. MACUL Journal.
- Hernandez, T., Newman, C., Seiler, M. W., Shultz, L., McVey, M. (2014). Training Teacher Candidates to Teach in Online Learning Environments: An Analysis of Online Teaching Projects. In Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2014 (pp. pp. 1960–1969). Chesapeake, VA: In Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2014.
- McVey, M. (2013). Review of the book Pisa under Examination: Changing Knowledge, Changing Tests, and Changing Schools by Miguel A. Pereyra, Hans-Georg Kotthoff and Robert Cowen (Eds.). International Review of Education, 59, 141–144.
- McVey, M. (2013). Review of the book Shadow Education by Mark Bray and Chad Lykins. International Review of Education, 58, 809–811.
- Cooke, B., Weeden, S., McVey, M. (2013). Underage Children and Social Networking. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 45(3), 249–261.
- McVey, M. (2009). Observations of expert communicators in immersive virtual worlds: Implications for synchronous discussion. ALT-J Research on Learning Technology, 16, 173–181.
- McVey, M. (2009). To block or not to block? The complicated territory of social networking. School Business Affairs, 75, 27–28.
- LTEC 330 Instructional Applications of Media and Technology
- LTEC 510 Online Teaching: Basics
- LTEC 602 Student and Technology-Centered Learning
- LTEC 627 Advanced Technical Issues in Educational Technology
- LTEC 653 Issues and Emerging Educational Technologies
- LTEC 695 Seminar / Capstone
- Emerging Technologies in the Classroom
- Challenges of Digital Scholarship
- The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)
- Immersive Virtual Worlds (IVWs)
- Social Media in Education
- "The Seventeen-Acre Classroom: An Interdisciplinary Place-Based Project for Middle Schools" (writing)
- "Development of a Protocol for Video Recording Student Teaching" (writing results)
- "Impact of the Google Educator Certification on Teacher Candidate Confidence" (research in progress)
- "Influence of Juku and Hakwon policies on North American Practice" (in development)
- McVey, M., MACUL Annual Conference, "Drones in the Classroom: An Introduction," Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning (MACUL), Detroit, MI. (March 16, 2017).
- McVey, M., World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (eLearn), Washington, DC, "Hesitating to Collaborate: Understanding why Pre-Service Teachers Avoid Collaborative Learning Affordances," Academic, International, Refereed. (November 15, 2016).
- McVey, M., AACTE Annual meeting, American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education, Las Vegas, NV, "Training Pre-Service Candidates to Assess Learning in Online Environments" (February 23, 2016).
- McVey, M., Brunei International Conference on Education, Bandar, Brunei Darussalam, Keynote: "The Unexpected Challenges of Educational Technology", (May 22, 2012).
- McVey, M., Teaching and Learning in the Cloud, MACUL (Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning), Holland, Michigan, "Cloud Computing to Enhance Communication". (October 22, 2010).
- McVey, M., 2010 Midwest Moodle Moot, Goshen College, Goshen, IN, "Getting Pre-Service Teachers Thinking about Moodle". (July 28, 2010).
- McVey, M., MACUL Annual Conference, Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning (MACUL), Grand Rapids, MI, "Create a Small-Scale Social Network for Your Classroom Using NING". (March 11, 2010).
- McVey, M., Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Speaker's Series, Faculty Development Center, Eastern Michigan University, "Teaching with Social Networking: Moving from Potential to Practice". (October 5, 2009).
- American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education (AACTE), 2015
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), October 2009–2011
- American Educational Research Association (AERA), 2007
- National Educational Computer Consortium (NECC), 2007
- University Council for Educational Administration (UCEA), 2007