- Ed.D., Counselor Education, University of Northern Colorado
- M.Div., Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary
- BA, University of Arizona
License / Certifications
- National Certified Counselor - National Board for Certified Counselors, Certificate #47164
- Approved Clinical Supervisor - Center for Credentialing & Education, Certificate #0981
- Board Certified – Telemental Health Provider - Center for Credentialing & Education, Certificate #2489
- Licensed Professional Counselor & Supervisor - State of Michigan, License #6401009727
Dr. Perry C. Francis is a professor of counseling and the coordinator of the Counseling Training Clinic in the College of Education Clinical Suite. The clinic is a training facility for advanced level graduate students in the professional counseling program. It operates as a Community Mental Health facility for clients from the community, student body of EMU, and referrals from the county courts and local mental health centers.
Dr. Francis came to EMU in 2005 after teaching at Texas A&M – Commerce & Northwestern State University of Louisiana. In September of 2022, Dr. Francis began phased retirement and no longer teaches any courses in the counseling program. He continues to manage the Counseling Training Clinic as well as co-direct the COE Clinical Suite in the College of Education. He also sees clients in the clinic on a limited basis.
Dr. Francis earned his degree in counselor education at the University of Northern Colorado (UNC). Before completing his degree, he was a Lutheran parish pastor and a campus pastor for 14 years. He also served as an interim staff psychologist at the UNC Counseling Center.
Interests and Expertise
- Ethics and professional issues
- College counseling
- Clergy sexual misconduct
- Counseling micro skills training
Publications and Presentations
- Francis, P. C. (2022). Introduction to the special edition: Policies and practices. Journal of Mental Health Counseling 40(1), 2-5. doi: doi.org/10.17744/mehc.44.1.01.
- Francis, P. C. & Farrell, I. (2022). Ethics and ethical behavior. In S. K. Butler, J. Filmore, & A. F. Locke (Eds.), Introduction to Counseling: A Multicultural and Social Justice Perspective, (pp. 60-91). San Diego, CA: Cognella Academic Publishing.
- Francis, P. C. (2020). Legal and ethical issues in college counseling. In D. Paladino, L Gonzalez, & J Watson (Eds.), College Counseling and Student Development Services: Addressing the Needs of the Contemporary College Student. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Francis, P. C. (2019). Ethical, legal, and professional issues in marriage, couples, and family counseling. In B. Flamez & J. Hicks (Eds.), Marriage, Couple, and Family Therapy: Theory, Skills, Assessment, and Application. San Diego, CA: Cognella.
- Francis, P. C. & Grossman, S. (2019). Counseling services: CAS contextual statement. In J. B. Wells (Ed.) CAS professional standards for Higher education (10th). Washington, D.C., Author.
- Francis, P. C. (2018) College counseling and student affairs. In S. Nassar-McMillan & S. Niles (Eds.), Professional counseling: Orientation to past, present, and future trends. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Van Brunt, B. J., Sokolow, B. A., Halligan-Avery, E., Francis, P. C., Ulmer, L., Gunn, J. E., Pescara-Kovach, L., Murphy, A., Denino, D. J., Schiemann, M., & Raleigh, M. J., (2018). The role of the counselor on the Behavior Intervention Team (BiT). Malverne, PA: National Association of Behavior Intervention Teams (NaBITA).
- Francis, P. C. (2018). Forward. In S. Hodges, 101 Careers in Counseling (2nd) (pp. xv-xviii). New York: Springer Publishing.
- O’Connor, L., Francis, P. C., Gonzalez, S. G., Lewis, W. S., Phinazee, K., & Van Brunt, B. J. (2017). Veterans on campus: Avoiding and addressing mental health crisis. Berwyn, PA: National Association of Behavior Intervention Teams.
- Francis, P. C. & Horn, A. S. (2017). Mental health issues and counseling services in U.S. higher education: An overview of recent research and recommended practices. Higher Education Policy 30(2), 263-277. doi: 1057/s41307-016-0036-2.
- Kaplan, D. M., Francis, P. C., Hermann, M. A., Baca, J. CV., Goodnough, G. E., Hodges, S., Spurgeon, S. L., & Wade, M. E., (2017). New concepts in the 2014 ACA Code of Ethics. Journal of Counseling and Development, 95(1), 110-120. doi: 10.1002/jcad.12122.
- Francis, P. C. & Horn, A. S.(2016). Research brief: College counseling and student success. Minneapolis, MN: Midwest Higher Education Compact.
- Francis, P. C. (2015). A review of contemporary ethical decision-making models for mental health professionals. Education Resources Information Center, (ED565003).
- Dugger, S. M. & Francis, P. C. (2014). Surviving a lawsuit against a counseling program: Lessons learned from Ward v. Wilbanks. Journal of Counseling & Development, 92(2), 135-141. doi: 10.1002/j.1556-6676.2014.00000.x
- Sokolow, B. A., Lewis, W. S., Van Brunt, B. J., & Francis, P. C. (2015). Making the call: Parental notification of suicidal students. Malverne, PA: The NCHERM Group, LLC
- Francis, P. C. (2022, October). Multicultural Competencies & the ACA Code of Ethics...What does it really say? Presentation at the 63rd Annual Conference of the European Branch of the American Counseling Association. Athens, Greece.
- Francis, P. C. (2022, February). Otto v. City of Boca Raton: Conversion therapy ban overturned. Presentation at Seventh Annual Conference for Law & Ethics in Counseling, (Virtual)
- Francis, P. C. (2021, February). The Limits of Privacy and Confidentiality: Snipes v USA & the Veterans Administration. Presentation at Sixth Annual Conference for Law & Ethics in Counseling, (Virtual)
- Francis, P. C. (2021, February). Ethics & Multicultural Competencies: What do the 2014 ACA Code of Ethics Really Say. Presentation at Sixth Annual Conference for Law & Ethics in Counseling, (Virtual)
- Francis, P. C. (2020, February). Copus v. Hallam: A challenge to the Tennessee law allowing discrimination. Presentation at Fifth Annual Conference for Law & Ethics in Counseling, New Orleans, LA.
- Francis, P. C. (2019, February). Court cases impacting our duty to care: UCLA v. Rosen & Nguyen v. MIT. Presentation at Fourth Annual Conference for Law & Ethics in Counseling, New Orleans, LA.
- Francis, P. C. (2018, October). The assessment and management of suicidal ideation. Presentation at the European Branch – American Counseling Association Annual Convention, Athens, Greece.
- Gunn, J. & Francis, P. C. (2018, February). Legal, ethical, and clinical implications of campus carry legislation. Presentation at 11th Annual Conference of the American College Counseling Association, Charlotte, NC.
- Francis, P. C. (2018, February). Learning the Lessons from Cash vs. MSU: Student Placements, Values, and Religious Liberty. Presentation at Third Annual Conference for Law & Ethics in Counseling, New Orleans, LA.
- Herman, M. A. & Francis, P. C. (2017, February). The History of the Code of Ethics: Implications for Counselors. Presentation at the Second Annual Holy Cross Law and Ethics Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Francis, P. C. (2016, October). Ethics, Values, Competence, and Standards of Care: What is the Common Denominator? Presentation at the European Branch – American Counseling Association Annual Convention, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Goodnough, G., Francis, P. C., & Spurgeon, S. L. (2015, October). The 2014 ACA Code of Ethics: How the new code impacts counselor education programs. Presentation at the 2015 Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Convention, Philadelphia, PA.
Grants, Honors and Awards
2018 Eastern Michigan University – Ronald W. Collins Distinguished Faculty Service Award
2016 Eastern Michigan University – College of Education – Outstanding Service Award
2013 North Central Association for Counselor Education & Supervision – Special Recognition Award
2012 Eastern Michigan University – Division of Student Affairs – Gold Medallion Award
2012 American College Counseling Association – Presidential Service Award
2012 Georgia College Counseling Association – Professional Contribution to Knowledge
2008 American College Counseling Association – Professional Leadership Award
2003 American College Counseling Association – Professional Leadership Award
- American Counseling Association
- American College Counseling Association
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- Michigan Counseling Association