Ph.D., Indiana University
Paul (Joe) Ramsey is a professor in the Department of Teacher Education at Eastern Michigan University. He completed his Ph.D. degree in the history of education at Indiana University and is the author of numerous scholarly publications. His historical interests include bilingual education, immigration, childhood, popular culture and globalization. His other broad areas of interest include philosophy, literature and educational policy.
- SOFD 328W Schools for a Diverse and Democratic Society
- HIST 481 The Teaching of Social Studies
- SOFD 572 History of American Schooling and Literacy
- SOFD 672/HIST 572 Advanced Study in the History of Education
- EDST 800 Introduction to Education Studies: Scholarship, Teaching, and Learning
- URED 811 An Exploration of Urban Education: History, Theory, Policy and Practice
Publications and Presentations
- Ramsey, Paul J., ed. Learning the Left: Popular Culture, Liberal Politics, and Informal Education from 1900 to the Present. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, 2015.
- Ramsey, Paul J. Bilingual Public Schooling in the United States: A History of America’s “Polyglot Boardinghouse.” Paperback and revised edition. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Ramsey, Paul J., ed. The Bilingual School in the United States: A Documentary History. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, 2012.
- Ramsey, Paul J. Bilingual Public Schooling in the United States: A History of America's "Polyglot Boardinghouse." New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- Myers, Kevin, Paul J. Ramsey, and Helen Proctor, eds. “Migrants, Migration and Education in Global Context.” Themed issue, Paedagogica Historica 54, no. 6 (2018).
- Ramsey, Paul J., ed. American Educational History Journal 41, nos. 1–2 (2014).
- Ramsey, Paul J., ed. American Educational History Journal 40, nos. 1–2 (2013).
- Ramsey, Paul J., ed. American Educational History Journal 39, nos. 1–2 (2012).
- Ramsey, Paul J. “Migration and Common Schooling in Urban America: Educating Newcomers in Boston and Cincinnati, 1820s-1860s.” Paedagogica Historica 54, no. 6 (2018): 704-719.
- Myers, Kevin, Paul J. Ramsey, and Helen Proctor. “Rethinking Borders and Boundaries for a Mobile History of Education.” Paedagogica Historica 54, no. 6 (2018): 677-690.
- Ramsey, Paul J. “Toiling Together for Social Cohesion: International Influences on the Development of Teacher Education in the United States.” Paedagogica Historica 50 (2014): 109–122.
- Ramsey, Paul J. “‘Improving and Embellishing the Wilderness’: Spreading the Gospel of Proper Land Use, New Harmony, Indiana, 1814–1824.” Educational Studies 50, no. 2 (2014): 146–166.
- Ramsey, Paul J. "Multilingual USA: An Introduction to Public Bilingual Education in the Nineteenth Century." Power Play: A Journal of Educational Justice 4, no. 1 (2012): 3–40.
- Ramsey, Paul J. "Experiencing the Social Issues That Impact America's Classrooms: A Study of Academic Service-Learning in Education Courses." Curriculum and Teaching Dialogue 13, no. 2 (2011): 99–112.
- Ramsey, Paul J. "Plato and the Modern American 'Right': Agendas, Assumptions, and the Culture of Fear." Educational Studies 45 (2009): 572–588.
- Ramsey, Paul J. "God Bless You, Mr. Vonnegut: Learning Civics from Kurt Vonnegut, Jr." Curriculum and Teaching Dialogue 11 (2009): 207– 220.
- Ramsey, Paul J. "The Dark Ages Haven't Ended Yet: Kurt Vonnegut and the Cold War." American Educational History Journal 36, no. 1 (2009): 99–114.
- Ramsey, Paul J. "In the Region of Babel: Public Bilingual Schooling in the Midwest, 1840s–1880s." History of Education Quarterly49, no. 3 (2009): 267–290.
- Ramsey, Paul J. "Wrestling with Modernity: Philanthropy and the Children's Aid Society in Progressive–Era New York City." New York History 88, no. 2 (2007): 153–174.
- Ramsey, Paul J. "Histories Taking Root: The Contexts and Patterns of Educational Historiography during the Twentieth Century." American Educational History Journal 34, no. 2 (2007): 347–363.
- Ramsey, Paul J. "Building a 'Real' University in the Woodlands of Indiana: The Jordan Administration, 1885–1891." American Educational History Journal 31, no.1 (2004): 20–28.
- Ramsey, Paul J. "The War against German-American Culture: The Removal of German-Language Instruction from the Indianapolis Schools, 1917–1919." Indiana Magazine of History 98, no. 4 (2002): 285–303.