- Ph.D., Educational Research & Measurement (1998), University of South Carolina
- M.Ed., Testing & Measurement (1995), University of South Carolina
- M.A., Educational Psychology (1993), Eastern Michigan University
- B.A., Psychology (1990), University of Michigan
Inservice Teachers' Assessment Literacy and Attitudes Toward Assessment
I am a faculty member in the Department of Teacher Education, currently serving as coordinator for the Master of Arts program in Educational Psychology. My teaching interests include assessment, research, and mixed methods courses. My service interests include program coordination, accreditation (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation), and human subjects (Institutional Review Board). My current research interests include English Language learners and program evaluation. I was appointed as an assistant professor at EMU in the fall of 1996. From 2002 through 2015, I served as assistant dean then associate within EMU's College of Education. I live in Chelsea with my two elementary school-aged sons Ryan (11) and Finn (7).
Interests and Expertise
- Educational assessment and evaluation
- Educational research, mixed methods
- Accreditation and accountability in higher education
- EDPS 322 Human Development and Learning
- EDPS 325 Human Growth and Development
- EDPS 340 Introduction to Assessment and Evaluation
- EDPS 502 Basic Concepts in Educational Psychology
- EDPS 621 Statistical Applications in Educational Research
- EDPS 651 Inferential Statistics
- EDPS 667 Introduction to Educational Research
- EDPS 675 Mixed Methods Research
- EDPS 677 Methods in Quantitative Research
- EDPS 689 Culminating Project
- EDPS 694 Seminar in Educational Psychology
- EDST 805 Quantitative Methods I
Publications and Presentations
- Band, J., Quilter, S., and Miller, G. (2002). The influence of music and inductions on mental imagery: Implications for practitioners of guided imagery and music. Journal of the Association for Music and Imagery, 8, 13–34.
- Gonzalez, A., Holbein, M., and Quilter, S. (2002). The relationship between high school students' goal orientations and perceptions of parental style. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 27, 450–470.
- Quilter, S. (1995). Academic self-concept and the first year college student: A snapshot. Journal of The Freshman Year Experience, 7(1), 39–52.
- Quilter, S. (1999). Assessment literacy for teachers: Making a case for the study of test validity. The Teacher Educator, 34(4), 235–243.
- Quilter, S., Band, J. P., and Miller, G. M. (1999). Measuring mental imagery with visual analogue scales. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 21(2), 161–172.
- Quilter, S., and Chester, C. (2001). The relationship between Web-based conferencing and instructional outcomes. International Journal of Instructional Media, 28(1), 13–22.
- Quilter, S., and Gallini, J. K. (2000). Inservice teachers' assessment literacy and attitudes toward assessment. The Teacher Educator, 36(2), 115–131.
- Quilter, S., and Weber, R. (2004, April–June). Quality assurance for online teaching in higher education: Considering and identifying best practice in E-learning. International Journal on E-Learning, 3(2), 61–65.
- Gonzalez, A., Quilter, S., and Holbein, M. (2001, April). The relationship between high school students' goal orientations and perceptions of parental style. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Seattle.
- Quilter, S. (1997, March). Students' choices along the way: Some findings from an integrated curriculum project. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago.
- Quilter, S. (2003, April). Knowing and experiencing educational assessment: A survey of inservice teachers. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago.
- Quilter, S. (2017, October). Exploring reliability and validity evidence for a student teaching evaluation instrument. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Mid-Western Educational Research Association, Evanston, IL.
- Quilter, S. (2021, October) Learning modalities and preferences post-pandemic: A case study from an educational studies doctoral program. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Mid-Western Educational Research Association, Cincinnati, OH.
- Quilter, S. (2022, October) A program review case study for a doctoral program in educational studies. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Mid-Western Educational Research Association, Cincinnati, OH.
- Quilter, S., and Jose-Kampfner, C. (2003, April). Writing and storytelling in mathematics education: Empowerment for Latino students. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago.
- Member, Mid-Western Educational Research Association
- Site Visitor, Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation
- Member, Human Subjects Review Committee, Eastern Michigan University's Institutional Review Board