Student Learning & Licensure Support

The College of Education uses an online portfolio and assessment tool, Watermark Student Learning & Licensure - formerly called Via.

Students use Student Learning & Licensure (SLL) for online portfolios and for submitting assignments for specific courses.

Faculty use SLL for assessment of student learning outcomes and to provide formative feedback to students - both of which are key components in our continuous improvement cycle.

The College of Education uses SLL for college-level reflection on programs we offer, as well as reporting on student learning for national accreditation purposes.

Paying for Your Account

Starting with the Winter 2024 semester, we will move to a lab fee model for students to pay for their account. Fees will show up in $50 increments on your eBill, when taking the courses below.

The courses for which the lab fee will be assessed are: LTEC 330, SFCE 328W, SPGN 251, and one of either RDNG 302, RDNG 310, or RDNG 311, based upon your major or program. 

No student who has already paid for an account directly, will be charged this fee, for at least the first two years.

The list of courses, and the fee amount, may be periodically evaluated and adjusted as necessary.

Accessing Your Account

Students seeking teacher certification, and certain other related programs, will need a Student Learning & Licensure account depending on the specific needs of their program. If the upcoming semester will be the first time you will need to use SLL, you will not be able to set up your account until after the semester has started.

To log into your SLL account, even for the first time, visit SLL to sign in.

See the FAQ’s, below, for additional information.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I export or save an assessment?

    Expand dropdown
    1. Open your assignment in Student Learning & Licensure.
    2. On the right, click the “View Rubric Details” link, to open the full rubric.
    3. Drag your cursor across then entire text of the assessment, including the title and course, and choose “Copy” in your browser.
    4. Open a new Google Doc or Microsoft Word document, and select “Paste”.
      1. If using Word, you may need to select the pasted table, and modify the table properties (Table menu -> Table Properties) so the table width fits within the page width. Typically, this will be around 7”, or you may select “Fit to Width” if that is an option.
    5. Save or print your assessment as needed.
  • How do I change an already-submitted assignment?

    Expand dropdown

    The Watermark Help system, accessible by clicking the “?” icon in the upper-right portion of the page, has the answer. Log into your account. Click the “?” icon. Click the “Courses & Activities [Assignments]” link. Select the “Submitting an Activity” instructions. Review the  “To withdraw a submitted activity” section.

  • My faculty member told me I needed SLL. How do I get it?

    Expand dropdown
  • Why do I need Student Learning & Licensure (SLL)?

    Expand dropdown

    Students use SLL for electronic portfolios and for assignment submission for assessment of student learning outcomes. Faculty use SLL for collection of assessment artifacts (student work), and for assessing that work against EMU, State, and accrediting-body standards. Programs use SLL to understand how we are meeting your needs, evaluating what has been done, and making adaptations based on that new knowledge. This is all part of our continuous improvement process. And finally, the College, and individual departments and programs, use the assessment of student learning outcomes to demonstrate we are meeting the goals our various accrediting bodies hold us to. In doing so, we maintain our high standards, and the Michigan Department of Education recognizes each of our accredited programs, recognizing us for what we do best: Preparing Caring Professional Educators for a Diverse and Democratic Society.

  • I have a Student Learning & Licensure account or a LiveText account from another school. Do I need to buy a new account while at EMU?

    Expand dropdown

    If you have an expired account at another institution, you will need to purchase a new account at EMU. If you have an unexpired account at another institution, please contact Watermark Support and ask them to “unlock” your EMU Student Licensure & Learning account. Watermark Support contact information can be found inside your existing Watermark account by clicking the “?” icon in the upper-right portion of the Watermark window, and then look for the “Submit A Request” button toward the bottom of the page. Be as detailed as possible, providing your former email and student ID, as well as your EMU email and EID information, to help Watermark Support locate your account(s).

  • Can I get this billed to my student eBill account?

    Expand dropdown

    As of Winter 2024, new users will see a lab fee on their eBill, as outlined above, covering their use of this software.

  • If I drop my class, can I get a refund?

    Expand dropdown

    Please contact [email protected] if you have questions about refunds.

  • How long will my account last?

    Expand dropdown

    All accounts are covered by the Student Learning & Licensure/Watermark terms of service. As of this writing, new accounts are good for a period of up to seven years. Upon expiration, the next time you log into your account you will be prompted to renew.

  • Why can’t I log in to my account at the link provided?

    Expand dropdown

    On a few days during the year, the university performs system maintenance and/or software upgrades on on-campus systems. During those times, usually for just a couple hours, you will not be able to authenticate using your EMU login credentials to get to your Via account. If this happens, you can try again in a few hours, or you may try the method below. If neither method works, you may wish to contact the company directly.