Grants are "free money," which means that you don't have to pay it back. Grants are awarded to undergraduate students with the most financial need and who satisfy all general requirements for federal aid.

Federal Grants

  • Federal Pell Grant

    Expand dropdown
    • Funded and awarded by the federal government to students with exceptional financial need as determined by the FAFSA
    • Grant amount depends on Expected Family Contribution (EFC) or Student Aid Index (SAI) and is prorated if enrolled less than full time.
    • Lifetime limit of six years eligibility or the full-time equivalent of six years if attending less than full-time
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

    Expand dropdown
    • Funded by the federal government and awarded by EMU (limited funding)
    • Priority consideration is given to students who receive the Federal Pell Grant, meet the priority deadline and demonstrate the greatest financial need ($0 EFC/SAI)
    • Must be enrolled at least half-time

Federal TEACH Grant

Eastern COE students may wish to participate in the U.S. Department of Education's TEACH (Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education) grant program. The TEACH grant program provides up to $4,000 per academic year ($16,000 total for undergrad; $8,000 total for grad studies) in grants to students enrolled in TEACH-eligible programs with the intent to teach full-time in high-need subject areas at schools serving students from low-income families for four years within eight years post-graduation. Students enrolled less than full-time will receive a prorated amount per term. Regardless of the amount you receive, your service requirement of four years is the same.

Note: Total financial aid may not exceed the cost of attendance so receiving a TEACH grant may reduce your eligibility for other types of financial aid.

  • Important warning

    Expand dropdown
    Carefully consider this program before applying. If you don't fulfill your obligation to serve for four years within eight years of graduation in a high-need subject area in a school serving low-income families, your grant is automatically converted into a Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan with accumulated interest beginning at the point you first received funds. 80% of students in the program are unable to keep the money as a grant.
  • Application Process

    Expand dropdown
  • Eligibility

    Expand dropdown
    • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
    • Must be admitted to the College of Education and into an eligible degree program [PDF]. You may major in education and pursue a certification in a high-need subject area or major in a high-need subject area with the intent of also completing teacher certification.
    • Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 throughout your academic program or demonstrate a score above the 75th percentile on a national standardized college admissions test.
    • Federal financial aid regulations restrict the TEACH Grant program to students pursuing their first bachelor's or master's degree. Students in the Post Bachelor Teacher Certification program or fifth year (graduate certification) of the teaching degree are not eligible to receive the TEACH Grant.
    • Sign a service agreement, complete counseling through the Financial Aid Office each year you receive the grant and attend exit counseling when you graduate or leave school.
  • Service Agreement

    Expand dropdown
    Each year you receive a TEACH Grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve and Promise to Pay (service agreement) which is available electronically on the U.S. Department of Education web site. When you sign the service agreement, you are agreeing to repay the grant as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, with interest accrued from the date that the grant funds were disbursed, if you do not complete the teaching obligation. Once the grant has been converted to a loan, it cannot be converted back to a grant.
  • High-Need Subject Areas

    Expand dropdown
  • Documentation

    Expand dropdown
    You'll need to notify the Department of Education within 120 days of completing or ceasing to enroll in your teacher preparation program that you're fulfilling (or plan to fulfill) the terms and conditions of your service agreement. You must document your teaching service and your documentation must be certified by the chief administrative officer at the school where you teach. 
  • Exit Counseling

    Expand dropdown

    Students that received funds through the U.S. Department of Education’s Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH Grant) Program are required to complete TEACH exit counseling per​ federal regulations.

    TEACH exit counseling is required when any of the following conditions are met:

    • The TEACH Grant recipient graduates.
    • The TEACH Grant recipient ceases attendance at Eastern Michigan University. Exit counseling is required even if the student transfers to another school.
    • The TEACH Grant recipient changes majors into an ineligible TEACH program.

    EMU students will be notified via their emich email address when TEACH exit counseling is required. At this time they are directed to complete the online TEACH Exit Counseling. Students are strongly encouraged to complete the session online as it contains student-specific information. Students that fail to complete the online session within 30 days ​will be ​mailed a ​paper copy of the TEACH Exit Counseling Guide.

State Grants

  • Michigan Achievement Scholarship (MAS)

    Expand dropdown

    The Michigan Achievement Scholarship is a renewable scholarship for undergraduate students that graduated from a high school in Michigan in 2023 or after.  Please see the Michigan Achievement Scholarship Fact Sheet for additional information and eligibility requirements.

  • Michigan Competitive Scholarship (MCS)

    Expand dropdown

    Student who graduated from a Michigan high school prior to 2023 may be eligible for MCS.  The amount of MCS is determined by the State of Michigan Office of Scholarships and Grants. More information at State of Michigan website.

    • For undergraduates pursuing their first degree at an approved Michigan postsecondary institution.
    • Must demonstrate financial need and merit.
    • Must achieve a qualifying SAT/ACT score prior to entering college.
    • Applicants must file FAFSA - priority consideration given to those who file by March 1.
  • Tuition Incentive Program (TIP)

    Expand dropdown

    An incentive program helping students complete high school by providing tuition assistance for the first two years of college and beyond. $500 award for four semesters totaling $2000.

    • Must have or have had Medicaid coverage for 24 months with a 36 consecutive month period as identified by the Michigan Department of Human Services.
    • EMU is Phase II of the program; student not eligible for TIP until 56 hours are earned (or an associates degree).

    Please visit the TIP Fact Sheet for additional information.

King-Chavez-Parks Future Faculty Program

Apply through the Graduate School online application. The King-Chavez-Parks Future Faculty Masters Fellowship cannot exceed $20,000 per recipient and the Doctoral Fellowship cannot exceed $35,000 per recipient.

Skip Section Navigation