Accepting Your Aid

Your EMU Financial Aid Offer

Your yearly financial aid offer lets you know your financial aid eligibility. You'll get one every year you apply for aid. Carefully read it so you know what kind of aid and how much you've been offered.

New Students

Financial aid is awarded to new, first-year students for the upcoming school year in April. New transfer students are awarded financial aid starting in April as well. New students are sent one paper award letter to their permanent address.

Continuing/Returning Students

Financial aid is awarded to continuing/returning students for the upcoming school year in May (after Winter grades have posted). Continuing/returning students are sent an award letter to their My.Emich email account.

About Your Financial Aid Offer

  • Awards are based on assumed enrollment: undergraduate (13 credits per semester) and graduate (six credits per semester).
  • Any changes to your financial aid award after the letter is sent will generate an email. You can then view the changes on your My.Emich account.
  • Awards are based on Fall and Winter enrollment. If you'd like to apply for summer financial aid, check out the summer financial aid page.

Determining Aid Eligibility

Expected Family Contribution/Student Aid Index

The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) or Student Aid Index (SAI) starting with the 24/25 FAFSA is a measure of your family's financial strength and resources that should be available to help pay for your education. The EFC/SAI is calculated from the information you report on the FAFSA and according to a formula established by law. Your family's income (taxable and untaxed) and assets are considered in determining your EFC/SAI. Your family size is also considered. Your EFC/SAI will appear on the Student Aid Report (SAR) or FAFSA Submission Summary you receive after you file your FAFSA.

Cost of Attendance (COA)

The Cost of Attendance (COA) represents the estimated tuition and living costs for the average undergraduate or graduate student for the academic year.

Financial Need

Some financial aid programs require financial need. To determine your financial need for federal student aid programs, your school subtracts the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) or Student Aid Index (SAI)* from Cost of Attendance (COA). The difference is "need" for financial assistance (COA - EFC/SAI = need). If your EFC/SAI is less than the COA, you may be offered need-based financial aid. If your EFC/SAI is greater than the COA, you may be offered aid that is considered non-need-based. The combination of all scholarships, grants, loans and work-study awards cannot exceed your COA.

*A negative SAI will be treated as 0 for purposes of determining financial need.

How do I accept my aid?

Go to, login, and follow these steps:

  • Locate the “Financial Aid and Bill Payment” card
  • Click the Financial Aid Status link
  • Select the correct aid year in the top right drop down menu
  • Select Award Offer
  • Scroll down to view Offered and Accept aid under:
      • Grants and Scholarships to Pay for College
      • Loans

Skip Section Navigation