Elizabeth A. Broughton
Professor, Educational Leadership
John W. Porter Bldg, Suite 304
- Ed.D., Student Personnel in Higher Education, University of Florida – Gainesville
- M.Ed. and Ed.S., Agency, Correctional and Developmental Counseling, University of Florida – Gainesville
Dr. Broughton teaches courses in educational leadership –higher education program. She has practical experience and academic background in Student Affairs/Higher Education Administration. Prior teaching at EMU, she served as mid-level administrator in student affairs at the University of Florida. Additionally, Dr. Broughton has written and received several state and federal grants, published several articles, and presented numerous speeches and workshops nationally.
Interests and Expertise
- Student Affairs
- Intercollegiate Athletics
- Leadership Development
- Alcohol Abuse Prevention
Broughton, E., & Molasso, W. M. (2006). College drinking: Content analysis of 30 years of research. Journal of College Student Development, 47(6), 609-627.
Broughton, E., & Williamson, R. D. (2006). A statewide survey of school counselor's perceptions regarding their professional role. Dimensions in Counseling: Research, Theory and Practice.
Broughton, E., & Stevenson, T. N. (July 2006). What They're Reading [Review of the book Encouraging Authenticity and Spirituality in Higher Education], Journal of College Character and Values VII (6).
Broughton, E. (December, 2005). Minimizing Conflict, Maximizing Collaboration: Principals and School Counselors. The Principals' Partnership.
Meraz Lewis, R., Broughton E., Crews, L., & McConnell, A. (2013). The Experiences of Student Affairs Administrators as Part-time Faculty, American College International Educators (ACPA), Las Vegas.
Rice, A., Gold, E., Broughton, E. & Oyler, J. (2013). Understanding the Mental Health Needs of Today's Students: Are You Informed. Student Affairs Professionals in Higher Education (NASPA), Orlando.
Rice, A., Gold, E., & Broughton, E. (2012). Greek Student's Today. NASPA Conference, Phoenix, AZ.
Broughton, E., Borton, N., & Walz, K. (2010). Be More Visible: College Drinking Through the Student Lens. ACPA Convention, Baltimore, MD.
Roundtable (2009), Gender, Sexuality, and Campus Drinking Cultures: A Discussion of Policy and Practice. National Women's Studies Association Conference, Atlanta, GA.
Broughton, E., & Molasso, W. (2009). The Amethyst Initiative: Rethinking the drinking age. ACPA Convention, Washington, DC.
- EDLD 550 Introduction to Student Affairs in Higher Education
- EDLD 551 Contemporary College Students
- EDLD 631 Human Relationship Skills for Educational Leaders
- EDLD 633 History of Higher Education
- EDLD 655 College Student Development Theory
- EDLD 660 Grantwriting
- EDLD 687 Student Affairs Internships
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education (NASPA)
- College Student Educators International (ACPA)
- Association of Study of Higher Education (ASHE)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)