direct edit

Health and Safety

The safety of our students abroad is our first and fundamental priority. We subscribe to the best practices as laid out by NAFSA (National Association of International Educators). We monitor safety conditions using U.S. State Department information along with other reliable sources.

Our intention at this time is to proceed with the currently posted programs. If conditions change and the University cancels a program before its departure, students will receive a full refund. If a program is already underway and must be canceled, the University will arrange for students to return home and issue appropriate refunds. If a program is not canceled and conditions warrant, we will alter itineraries to maximize security. If a student wishes to withdraw from a program that is not canceled by the University, the normal policy regarding withdrawals is in effect. As we continue to monitor safety conditions for each of our programs, we'll provide updated information to students.

EMU Academic Programs Abroad Resources

  • Student Handbook (updated copy available soon)
  • About EMU Academic Programs Abroad insurance
  • The CMI EMU Academic Programs Abroad insurance policy [PDF]
    All students studying abroad on EMU programs are enrolled in our Premier Group health insurance policy, administered by CMI Insurance Specialists and underwritten by ACE American Insurance. The plan includes access to a 24/7 Worldwide Assistance Network for emergency assistance, anywhere in the world. This service provides referrals to the nearest medical facility or provider, as well as help relaying messages to family members. In addition to on-the-ground medical coverage, our policy provides for medical evacuation and repatriation, trip  interruption, trip cancellation and security evacuation. CMI claim forms can be found on their website.
  • Incident report form for APA programs (for incidents occurring while abroad on an EMU program). This form is completed through our abroad application system for tracking purposes. When you click this link you will see an Apply Now button. You should click that button to access the actual form(s) that must be completed to report an incident. You'll need your NetID/my.emich credentials to log-in to the system.  

Other Study Abroad Resources

EMU University Resources

Health Resources

U.S. Government Travel Resources

Visas For U.S. Citizens and Resources for Non-U.S. Citizens