Student Emergency Fund
Dear Valued Student,
While COVID-19 continues to disrupt life around the globe, college students are also facing unimaginable challenges. Alongside EMU, GameAbove is committed to keeping enrolled students equipped with necessities and high-desirable commodities needed during this crisis. We established the Students Matters Most initiative and the Student Emergency Fund for moments like this—for students to seek financial assistance in dire situations. GameAbove is with you and you have our support through these difficult times. We aspire for you to stay connected with us and EMU, now and in the future, and continue giving back to students who need it the most.
GameAbove Advisory Board
Students may apply for the fund once they have exhausted other resources. The funding is a one time option and does not need to be repaid. The purpose of the EMU Student Emergency Fund is to award a one-time monetary assistance to students who are experiencing an unforeseen crisis; to cover expenses which can impact a student’s ability to continue their education. EMU students may request up $750. The funding will be awarded on a case-by-case basis, after evaluating the student’s need and circumstance. Upon approval of the EMU Student Emergency Funds application, the funds will be paid into the student’s account. The Eastern Michigan University Student Emergency Fund assists EMU students by providing financial support with unexpected emergency expenses. Students sometimes have unforeseen circumstances that greatly impact their lives. The fund allows students to meet their needs and continue their education.
- Be enrolled at EMU with a minimum course load of 6 credits for undergraduate students and 4 credits for graduate students.
- Be in good academic standing with EMU.
- Demonstrate hardship and be able to provide documentation of the emergency expense.
- Determine that all other resources, including resources through the Office of Financial Aid, have been considered and are insufficient, unavailable, or not available in a timely manner.
- Applicants must complete the form below and submit supporting documentation.
Expenses Potentially Covered
- Books and other essential academic expenses
- Housing Needs (Replacement of personal belongings due to theft, fire or natural disaster)
- Transportation/Bus Pass
- Medical Care
- Child Care
Examples of Expenses Not Covered
- Tuition, Fees, and/or Study Abroad Costs
- Parking tickets or other fines
- Non-essential utilities (i.e. cable, cell phone bill) and household needs
- Credit Card Debit and/or Personal Debit
- Court Fees
- Complete the Student Emergency Fund application thoroughly and submit any supporting documentation.
- Committee reviews the application material and makes a decision. Criteria for approval will be based on eligibility, documentation of need, and availability of funds.
- Payments are made directly to the EMU Student's Account.