Rape Aggression Defense (RAD)
Our next RAD Women’s Self-Defense Class will begin winter semester 2023. This class is open to any individual that identifies as female or non-binary and is age 16 and up.
Our next RAD for Men Self-Defense Class will begin in October 2023. This class is open to any individual that identifies as male or non-binary and is age 16 and up. This course will give participants the opportunity to raise their awareness of aggressive behavior and recognize how aggressive behavior impacts their lives. They will learn steps to avoid aggressive behavior and be given the opportunity to learn and practice hands-on self-defense skills to resist and escape aggressive behavior directed toward them.
Special thanks to Student Government for helping us offer this class for free.
Both of these classes have been approved for LBC Credit (LB1). For more information or to be notified when future classes are available please contact the Community Engagement Officer Wilman at 734.487.0987 or [email protected].
In collaboration with Student Government, both class are being offered for free.
What prior students had to say about their RAD class with EMU PD
- "Best class ever! I feel prepared for the real world."
- "I love this course and am so thankful I know what to do now."
- "I feel like this helped me so much and I really think every girl (or anyone) should take this"
- "All of the instructors were great & respectful, really cared & wanted to help"
- "I really enjoyed this course, I wish it was longer and we had more sim. days"
- "This was a great class, very useful, I recommended to anyone"
- “I feel a lot more confident. Simulation was my favorite day!"
- "Amazing class! Very useful and realist and I feel I can kick butt."
- "Everyone was very nice and encouraging."
What is the RAD System?
The Rape Aggression Defense System (RAD) is a program of realistic, self-defense tactics and techniques. This comprehensive course for women begins with awareness, prevention, risk reduction and avoidance, while progressing on to the basics of hands-on defense training. RAD is not a Martial Arts program. Our courses are taught by certified RAD instructors and provide you with a workbook/reference manual that outlines the entire physical defense program for reference and continuous personal growth.
The RAD system of physical defense is currently being taught at many universities and colleges. The wide spread acceptance of this system is primarily due to the ease, simplicity, and effectiveness of our tactics, solid research, legal defensibility and unique teaching methodology.
The RAD system is dedicated to teaching women defensive concepts and techniques against various types of assault by utilizing easy, effective and proven self-defense/martial arts tactics. Our system of realistic defense will provide a woman with the knowledge to make an educated decision about resistance. We provide effective options by teaching women to take an active role in their own self-defense and psychological well-being.