Children and Families [BS]

The recent demand for a bachelor’s degree in Children and Families (Child Development) is fueled by the change from the State of Michigan to allow teachers with a non-teacher certification degree to be a lead teacher in a Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP) or Head Start classroom. There is significant expansion in these programs state wide.

Moving to the Children and Families Major at EMU is a smooth transition for anyone with an Associate’s degree in Child Development from a community college. Eastern Michigan University’s ECE program has develop articulation agreements with local community colleges for ease in transferring to Eastern for those students interested in Children and Families. This is a 124 credit hour program and can be completed in four years.

Students in this program are eligible for the T.E.A.C.H. Scholarship from the Michigan Association for the Education of Young Children if they are employed 20+ hours a week in an early childhood program willing to sponsor them in their work toward the degree. Visit the T.E.A.C.H. site additional information.

Students also choose the Children and Families Major if they are interested in a career in early childhood administration or advocacy. Non-profit organizations that advocate for young children and their families hire those with a degree in Children and Families who are interested in educating others about the importance of the early years.


Students must maintain a 2.5 GPA with a C or better in all courses in the 50 hour major.