- Ph.D., English Literature, Ohio State University, 1993
- MA, English Literature, Ohio State University, 1988
- BA, Classical Greek, Bryn Mawr College, 1984
Interests and Expertise
Professor George writes about British romantic poetry with a particular focus on fashion and masculinity in the work of William Wordsworth and Lord Byron.
- LITR 102 Introduction to the Reading of Poetry
- ENGL 300W Writing About Literature
- LITR 316 Studies in British Romanticism
- LITR 470 Studies in Poetry
- LITR 480 Studies in Literature and Culture: past topics include Ghost Stories, Masculinities, Fashion
- LITR 490 Senior Seminar
- LITR 510 Critical Practices in Literary Studies
- LITR 570 Studies in British Romanticism
Publications and Presentations
- "Fashion, Self-Fashioning, and the Body." Byron in Context, edited by Clara Tuite, Cambridge University Press, Forthcoming.
- "Austen's Muslin." Crossings in Text and Textiles, edited by Katherine Joslin and Daneen Wardrop. University of New Hampshire Press, 2015. 73–102.
- "The Technique of Ordinary Poetry: Colridgean Notes toward a Genealogy of Technique," European Romantic Review 18.2 (2007 April): 195–203.
- "Reification and the Dandy: Beppo, Byron, and Other Queer Things," Romanticism on the Net 36–37 (2004 November–2005 February).
- "Man in Black: Benjamin Robert Haydon's 'Wordsworth on Helvellyn.'" International Conference on Romanticism. Colorado College. Colorado Springs, CO. October 20–23, 2016.
- "'Tongue-favored men': the Physicality of Eloquence in Book VII of William Wordsworth's The Prelude." International Conference on Romanticism. Brigham Young University. Park City, UT. October 15–17, 2015.
- "'Passing well in these toys': Lord Byron's Sardanapalus and the Poetics of Queer Things." International Conference on Romanticism. University of St. Thomas. St. Paul, MN. September 25–28, 2014.
- "Lord Byron and the Double-Binds of John Edleston's Gift." North American Society for the Study of Romanticism. Bethesda, MD. July 9–13, 2014.
Selected Professional Service
- Literature coordinator 2017–2018