This year’s New Beginnings Teaching Conference reflected the Faculty Development Center’s “Try One Thing” initiative. Hosted again by the Faculty Development Center and the Office of Campus & Community Writing, this conference put us in the frame of mind to start teaching the following week. We invited all members of the EMU community to join us and be inspired by new ideas - especially small ones - that can enhance teaching and learning across our campus. We had an innovative keynote address, interactive concurrent sessions, and a Gallery of Ideas.
PowerPoint Slides & Materials from the 2023 New Beginnings Conference
With the theme of "Try One Thing," we encouraged attendees and participants to write ideas they acquired throughout the conference on sticky notes. To view some of the new ideas that came from the conference, visit this link.
We also implemented a “20 Ideas in 20 Minutes.” 20 innovative educators did a “lightning round” where they each make one PowerPoint slide and speak for one minute about their idea. To view this powerpoint, visit this link.
Some of the presenters who participated in the 2023 New Beginnings Conference graciously allowed us to publish their PowerPoint slides to our website. To view any of the slides, please click on the title of the presentation below.
- Panelist Conversations: Bringing Real Life Experiences in to the Classroom for Difficult to Teach Topics by Lindsay Kalinowski and Richard Jewell
- Battle Against the Flawed Intelligences by Matt J. Schumann
- Making the Most of the First Day of Class by Jeffrey L. Bernstein
- Making a PK-12 Teaching Methods Course More Student-Centered and Interactive by Michael Foster
- Tips for Working with Students Whose First Language is Not English by Cynthia Macknish and Ildi Porter-Szucs