Guest Students

To become an EMU guest student if you are a graduate student from another school, you may follow this procedure:

  • Complete the online or paper application for graduate admission by selecting "Guest Student" on the application.
  • Submit the application and application fee.
  • In addition, submit sealed documentation from your university registrar indicating you are a student in good standing who will return to complete a program of study. This will prevent the need for official transcripts to be sent to EMU.

If you attend a participating Michigan university, the Michigan Council of Graduate Schools has authorized the use of the Michigan Intercollegiate Graduate Studies (MIGS) application form [PDF] that enables graduate students from one Michigan university to enroll in graduate courses offered by another Michigan university without being fully admitted to that university. The course and grade will be transferred back to the student's home institution.

  • Complete the MIGS form [PDF] and obtain your graduate advisor's signature along with the signature of the MIGS Liaison Officer at your university (typically the Dean or Associate Dean of the Graduate School).
  • Submit the form to the EMU Graduate School, [email protected], in 200 Boone Hall.

If you are an international student, the following additional documents are required:

  • For students with an F-1 or J-1 visa, International Student Adviser Letter
  • For students on other visas, a copy of that visa
  • Once you have a student number, you then may register online for the course. You will pay EMU tuition and fees.

When the course has been completed, you must request that EMU transcripts be sent to your university in order to receive transfer credit. This is handled through the Office of Records and Registration, 303 Pierce Hall.

If you have questions about the application process or your application status, please contact the Graduate School at [email protected] or 734.487.0042. Additionally, please contact the graduate program's department for specific program questions

Skip Section Navigation