George Liepa Sigma XI Speaker Series
The George Liepa Sigma Xi Annual Speaker Series Endowed Fund at Eastern Michigan University presents:
Dr. Stefan M. Pasiakos, "Leveraging Nutritional Science to Optimize Soldier Health and Performance" [PDF]
Thursday, March 17, 2022, 7–8 p.m. in The Student Center Auditorium
Dr. Stefan M Pasiakos is a Research Physiologist and Chief of the Military Performance Division at the U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine (USARIEM), where he leads a diverse research program and scientific team to develop evidenced-based solutions to limit musculoskeletal injuries, accelerate return to duty, and optimize physical and behavioral performance in training and operational environments. Dr. Pasiakos received his PhD in Nutritional Science in 2008 from the University of Connecticut and completed a post-doctoral fellowship in the Military Nutrition Division (MND) at USARIEM in 2012 as a U.S. Army Medical Service Corps officer. From 2012 to 2021, Dr. Pasiakos led a multi-disciplinary research program in the MND to define Warfighter protein requirements and develop targeted dietary strategies that sustain readiness and enhance performance. His academic interests include muscle physiology, dietary protein, human performance, and bioenergetics of exercise metabolism, and has more than 120 peer-reviewed, open-literature scientific articles in those scientific domains. Dr. Pasiakos is a member of the American Society for Nutrition, a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, Associate Editor for Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, and Deputy Editor for the British Journal of Nutrition.
All persons coming to campus, including visitors, are required to fill out a COVID Pass. The COVID Pass can be completed: HERE. Individuals associated with the University must login to complete the form while visitors should put a mark in the checkbox and follow subsequent instructions.
The George Liepa Sigma XI Speaker Series Endowed Fund was established in 2011 in memory of Dr. George Liepa [PDF]. George was an active campus member of Sigma Xi, a professor of human nutrition and a department head in the College of Health and Human Services.
When the Graduate Research Fair was created, it was his idea to have a science-related speaker present at the end of the day. George secured funding from Sigma Xi National to start the event and was a key figure in helping to select the annual speaker as well as marketing the event to EMU students, faculty and local high schools.
Previous George Liepa Sigma Xi Speakers:
- Thursday, March 17, 2022- Dr. Stefan M. Pasiakos: "Leveraging Nutritional Science to Optimize Soldier Health and Performance" [PDF]
- Thursday, March 18, 2021 - Dr. Anne Casper, "Effective Teaching to Support Inclusivity and Diversity in STEM" [PDF]
- Due to COVID-19, the 2020 George Liepa Sigma Xi Speaker Series event was postponed until 2021.
- Thursday, March 21, 2019 - Dr. Sophia Lunt, "Starving Cancer Away: Deciphering Metabolic Rewiring in Cancer" [PDF]
- March 15, 2018 - Richard Lunt, "Solar Panels: A Revolution in Distributed Power Production" [PDF]
- March 23, 2017 - Marie S. O’Neill, “Climate Change and Health: Research and Partnerships for Action” [PDF]
- November 17, 2016 - David Cappelleri, “Robots Deliver Results: Multi-Scale Robotics and Automation, from the Large to the Microscopic” [PDF]
- November 19, 2015 - Dana Dolinoy, “Your Epigenome: DNA is not Necessarily Your Destiny” [PDF]
- November 13, 2014 - Gary Huffnagel, “Your Gut: So Much More Than a Digestive System” [PDF].
- March 18, 2013 - Donald Beitz, "Genetic Regulation of Bovine Milk Fatty Acid Composition: Improving the Healthfulness of Milk through Selection" [PDF]
- March 26, 2012 - Jeanette Hasse, "Nutrition Strategies to Improve Organ Transplant Outcomes" [PDF]
- March 21, 2011 - Carol Ireton-Jones, "Malnutrition, Inflammation & Energy Metabolism" [PDF]
- March 16, 2010 - Elizabeth Friedman, "Archaeological Science: Forging Common Ground across Academic Disciplines" [PDF]
- March 23, 2009 - Norman G. Hord, "Dietary Guide to Prevent Cancer" [PDF]
- March 24, 2008 - Jeanette Adams, "Preserving the Nation’s Cultural Heritage through Chemistry: Analytical Materials Science at the Library of Congress" [PDF]
- March 26, 2007 - William S. Harris, "The Cardioprotective Effects of Fish Oils: Consensus and Controversies"
- March 27, 2006 - Peter Mancuso, "Phat Hormones: The emerging Role of the Adipokines in Health Care"
- March 28, 2005 - Tony England, "The Opportunity Cost of the New NASA" [PDF]
- March 22, 2004 - Howard Van Till, "Finders and Keepers: Can Religion Keep What Science Finds?" [PDF]
- March 24, 2003 - Jacqueline Krim, "Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems: These Squeaky Wheels Will Get No Grease" [PDF]
- March 18, 2002 - Milford Wolpoff, "Paleo-Anthropology" [PDF]
- Fall 2001- external speaker, topic: genetic engineering of food