First-Year Eastern Michigan University Requirements
For applicants seeking to enroll at EMU directly from high school
All of our admissions policies seek to identify the future success of our future students. Were excited that you're interested in EMU. Information about specific admissions requirements can be found below.
In an attempt to ensure opportunity and access for incoming students, Eastern Michigan University has a current Test Optional admission policy in place for incoming first year applicants. This option is available and applies to incoming First Year domestic students entering through the Fall 2024. To be considered for test optional admission a student must do the following:
- Apply to Eastern Michigan University. If you haven’t done so already, please visit our Select Scholars application page to apply.
- Meet the minimum requirement of 2.0 cumulative High School Grade Point Average or higher (on a 4.0 scale) for consideration.
- EMU uses a test-optional admissions model for first-year admission.
- A student with a cumulative high school GPA of 2.75 or higher will not be required to submit a standardized test score.
- A student with a cumulative high school GPA of 2.5-2.74 will be considered test-optional. Upon review of application and academic history, standardized test scores may be requested if required.
- At student with a cumulative high school of 2.49 and below will be required to submit a test score.
- Official transcripts are required for all admission consideration.
We admit students on a rolling basis and we typically notify you within 2–4 weeks of the time we receive all of your admissions materials.
The average student coming to EMU directly from high school has a GPA of 3.28 and an ACT score of 22 and SAT score of 1100. These are not minimum requirements for admission.
If you have questions or would like to speak to an advisor about your specific situation, follow this link to find your advisor or call 734.487.6453.
Follow the instructions for regular, first-year admissions. ACT or SAT scores are not required if you are 21+. Please contact us at 734.487.6453 if you have specific questions about enrolling after a gap in your education.
For applicants seeking to enroll at EMU from another college
If you have earned 12 or more credits at another college, you will need to apply to EMU as a transfer student. Please click here for Transfer Admission Information.