UWC for Graduate Students
During the semester, writing support is available to current EMU graduate students and faculty, as well as recent alumni of graduate-level programs. Watch this video introducing our services, or read about them more below. To request writing support, click the “Request writing support” link on the right.
You must be logged into only your emich email to schedule a consultation. If you get an error, try signing out of any other email accounts and trying again.
UWCGS is open August 30 - December 14 for the fall semester.
Closed dates: September 6, November 2, November 24 - 28
Support can be used once a week for writers who fall into one of these categories at EMU:
- currently enrolled in a graduate-level program (master's or doctoral)
- a recent alumnus of a graduate-level program
- current faculty or staff
Support can be used twice a week for writers who, in addition to the categories above, also fall into one of these categories:
- first language is not English
- have a learning difference or disability
- speak a dialect of English that is considered non-standard
Three types of support are available:
- Real-Time, Virtual Consultations - One-hour appointments are available in Google Meet or Zoom. Requests for appointments must be made at least 24 hours in advance, and appointments occur Monday-Friday.
- Asynchronous Feedback - A writing consultant reviews and comments on an uploaded document. While there is no page limit for submissions, writers are limited to only two asynchronous documents at a time. Turnaround time generally is determined by the length of the document when double-spaced, with 2 days for every 10 pages uploaded. Additional time is needed in the following circumstances:
- Documents that are uploaded after 6:00 pm will be considered to have been received the next day
- Documents received Friday-Sunday will have 1 additional day added to the turnaround time
- In-Person, On-Campus Consultations - A limited number of in-person/on-campus appointments may be scheduled on a case-by-case basis. Requests for appointments must be made at least 24 hours in advance. All writers attending in-person consultations are required to wear masks.
For questions about graduate writing support, contact the UWCGS Coordinator, Beth Sabo, at [email protected].