Family Resources at EMU

Spouse and Children as F-2 or J-2 Dependents
Having a Baby
Health Clinics
New Mom Support Groups
Child Care
School Age Children
Things to Do with Families
Lower-Cost Shopping for Children's Goods
Counseling services

*Note that this website is for informational purposes only. The OISS does not endorse any of the services listed. Services are subject to change without notice.*

Spouse and Children as F-2 or J-2 Dependents

If your spouse and/or children are coming to the United States as your dependents, they should obtain and arrive with F-2 or J-2 visas. If you know that you will have dependents at the time you apply for admissions to EMU, you should list their names in the EMU application and dependent I-20s or DS-2019s will be created for your family along with your I-20 or DS-2019.

If your spouse or children will be joining you after you arrive and I-20s/DS-2019s were not created for you by Admissions, please complete and submit the Request for Dependent I-20 and required documents.

J-1 students requesting dependent DS-2019s should contact OISS for instructions.

Upon receipt of these documents, the OISS will create the I-20s or DS-2019s for your family. You should mail the I-20s or DS-2019s to your family so that they can apply for F-2 or J-2 visas at their nearest U.S. Embassy. Be sure to review visa appointment and application procedure information via your nearest U.S. Embassy's website as embassies may vary depending on location.

Having a Baby

As an international student or the dependent of an international student, it is imperative that women hold medical insurance prior to pregnancy. If you are pregnant at the time you purchase health insurance, it is unlikely that your plan will cover any expenses related to your pregnancy as it can be considered a "pre-existing condition". It is also important to know the coverage levels and medical providers of your health insurance plan prior to pregnancy so that you understand the costs involved with having a baby in the United States.

Community resources for having a baby
Meijer's Grocery Store: free prenatal vitamin program. Inquire at their pharmacy.
La Leche League: supports breastfeeding mother and child (
Lamaze Association: supports parents with childbirth and infant care
Arbor Parents: a local blog-network to discuss parenting issues
Early On Washtenaw: free services available to children displaying developmental delays birth through three years of age. Multiple languages are spoken by staff members. (
Saint Joseph Mercy Health System provides services and programs on birthing, pregnancy, children health and women's health. (
Resources for moving into Ypsilanti (
SOS community services provide information and resources on affordable housing options, family services and children services. (

Housing Access Center
114 North River, Ypsilanti, MI 48198
Housing Access Line: (734) 961-1999
Walk-In Hours: Tuesday 10 am – 6:30 pm

Administration Office
101 South Huron St., Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Phone: (734) 485-8730
Fax: (734) 485-8739
Hours: Monday through Friday 9 am – 5 pm

Health Clinics

The Snow Health Center does not have obstetrician services but will work with students to find such services in the community. It is important to find out what services are covered by your health insurance.

Here is a list of lower cost providers. Check to see if your insurance can be used in these locations or inquire upon the costs of service should your insurance not be accepted.

Contraceptive Services
Planned Parenthood
840 Maus Ave.
Ypsilanti, MI 48198
Phone: 734-485-0144

Washtenaw Public Health Department
555 Towner
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Phone: 734-544-6700

Academic OB/GYN Program at
St. Joseph Mercy Health System
Phone: 734-712-3967

Hope Medical Clinic
518 Harriet Street
Ypsilanti, MI 48198
Phone: 734-481-0111

The Corner Health Center
47 N. Huron Street
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Phone: 734-484-3600

Family Life Services offers free pregnancy tests, free ultrasounds. ... Peer counseling for men and women, material goods and referrals for community resources.
2950 Packard Road
Ypsilanti, MI 48197

University of Michigan Ypsilanti Health Center offers two practices - Ypsilanti Family Medicine and Ypsilanti Pediatrics.
200 Arnet St. Suite 200
Ypsilanti, MI 48198

Packard Community Clinic- Sliding scale available; proof of income required. Primary care for adults and children. Nutritionist, psychologist, and social worker on staff. Call for hours.
3174 Packard
Ann Arbor MI 48108

New Moms Support Groups

Join other moms and babies in an opportunity for ongoing support and connection! Joining a group can help to answer questions, gain perspective, nurture friendships, reduce isolation, and enjoy interacting with your little one even more!

Mocha Moms


La Leche League: Local chapter of international group offers information about breast-feeding and peer support to nursing mothers. Several groups meet monthly; open to pregnant women and to mothers and their children. (877) 452-5324. (

Pregnancy Help Center: Provides baby food, clothing, furniture, equipment (
(Women, Infants, and Children), Washtenaw County Public Health: Offers supplemental food, professional nutrition education, and referrals based on health screening and assessments of need.

Classes/Events for Mothers and Families at St. Joseph Hospital

Arbor Vitae: Medical, counseling, referral, and material support services for women facing unexpected pregnancies (

Child Care

Child Care Network: This website provides information about what to look for in a child care. It also lists licensed child care providers in the region. (

EMU Children's Institute: EMU's early childhood education program on campus for children 18 months through 6 years of age (

EMU Children's Summer Camps: EMU's on campus camp for children 7-12 years of age. (

Washtenaw County Head Start: A federally sponsored early childhood program for children who are 3 or 4 by December 1.

School Age Children

Michigan has compulsory school attendance for children aged 6-16 years. Children who are 5 years of age by December 1 may attend public school kindergarten if their school district provides such a program.

Public Schools: Public Schools are funded by tax dollars. They run from early September through mid-June. There is no charge to attend. Books and bus services are also free. The location of attendance is determined by where one lives but many school districts allow for school of choice attendance. For additional information:

Ypsilanti Community Schools

Ann Arbor Public Schools

Charter Schools: Charter schools are public schools that operate independent of the local school board. They are funded by tax dollars and free to students.

Private Schools: Private schools are funded by individuals or corporations rather than public funds. Usually a fee is required to attend.

See the list of all public, charter and private schools in Washtenaw County.

Fun local things to do with families

Ann Arbor Hands on Museum:

U-M Exhibit Museum of Natural History:

Toledo Zoo:

The Detroit Science Center:


The Michigan Firehouse Museum:

Ypsilanti District Library:

Ann Arbor YMCA:
Camps, pools, family activities. Financial assistance available.

Dominos Animal Petting Farm:

Official Michigan Travel Website for Kids:'s%20Attractions

Lower-Cost Shopping for Children's Goods

Once Upon a Child
4459 Washtenaw Ave
Ann Arbor, MI 48108

Kiwanis Thrift Store
200 South First St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

41937 Ford Rd.
Canton, MI 48187

Thrift Store:

Children's Resale Shop:

Counseling services

Family Counseling Center: 3840 Packard Road Suite 220, Ann Arbor, MI 48108 Phone: (734) 477-9999.

Samaritan Counseling Services: (Insurance Accepted) 2890 Carpenter Road, Suite 1600, Ann Arbor 48108 Phone: (734) 677-0609. Recommended: Jocelyn Pyett

Raphael Counseling Services: 5475 Morgan Road, Ypsilanti, MI 48197. (734) 572-0255.

Huron Valley Child Guidance Clinic: Counseling for children to 18 years. Individual, group, and family counseling. Sliding-scale fees. Medicaid and limited insurance accepted. Call Washtenaw County Health Services Access, (734) 544-3050 for referral. Address: 2940 Ellsworth, Ypsilanti Phone: (734) 971-9605

For more community resources on Washtenaw County, visit the Washtenaw County site.
Asian center is a non-profit organization established in 1994, they offer programs and services for you to connect with the community.
MAI Family Services was established in 1986 by a group of community leaders who felt that the growing Asian Indian community needed a local organization to provide assistance to families and individuals in need. Since it was formed, MAI Family Services has expanded to offer services to all South Asians in Michigan.

MAI Family Services provides free and confidential services in many areas. They also have a helpline that is toll free & confidential # 1.888.664.8624. They have support you with translations in English, Gujarathi, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Telugu and Tamil.

• Toll-free and confidential phone line: 1.888.664.8624
• Support in English, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Telugu, and Tamil
AIWA-Michigan is a group of Detroit-area South Asian Women who seek to promote awareness of issues relevant to ourselves and our community.
The PARENTING PROJECT is an EMU psychology department initiative. You can contact them for more resources and support.

appointments Divider