J-1 scholars may only be employed by their sponsoring EMU department. However, scholars may also conduct occasional lectures and consultations outside the EMU host department if the employment is related to their program objectives.

These lectures or consultations are called "incidental employment" and must be approved by the OISS beforehand.

The employment may not delay the completion date of the scholar's program.

To receive approval from the OISS, the scholar should make an appointment with an OISS advisor and present the following two letters:

  • A letter from the potential employer giving a description of the lecture or consultation, including terms and conditions, duration, subject field and amount of compensation.
  • A letter from the EMU host department recommending the incidental employment.

Skip Section Navigation