SEVIS Check In
All new F and J international students are required to complete the SEVIS Check-in.
Please note that you will need to complete the SEVIS check-in and receive your new I-20 before you are able to apply for a Michigan driver's license or begin on-campus employment. If you do not check in with the OISS, the OISS cannot process your arrival for immigration purposes and inform the U.S. government that you are attending classes at EMU. You risk losing your immigration status if you do not conduct your check-in in a timely manner.
SEVIS Check-in Procedures
- Log in to the online orientation.
Select “Student” account
Choose “International Student”
Follow the directions to complete each orientation module. Complete these online orientation modules as soon as possible to avoid the risk of SEVIS termination.
Complete the checklist in the top right corner of the home page
Get at least 90% on the quiz in the Immigration 101 section of the online orientation
- Complete the New Student Information Sheet (link in emich.edu email).
- Submit your documents to the OISS. Dates and times for document drop-off will be sent to your emich.edu email.
- Attend the mandatory UNITED International Student Orientation.
- OISS staff will process your documents and register your check-in with SEVIS. When your documents are processed, you will receive an email notification that your SEVIS Check-in is complete.
During check-in and orientation, we would be happy to answer any questions you have concerning EMU or settling in the United States. We also have many informational resources available for you to help in your transition to campus in our Guide to Campus Resources Canvas seminar.
In addition to these steps, you must submit all of the following documents to complete your check in:
- I-94 card (if you have one) or most recent I-94
- EMU I-20 for F-1 students
- DS-2019 for J-1 students
- I-20/DS-2019 from other US schools, if applicable
- Transfer students must have all Transfer-pending I-20s and Initial I-20
- SEVIS I-901 fee receipt
- Immigration documents of your dependents (spouse and/or children) like I-20 or DS-2019, I-94, passport and visa, if applicable
We look forward to meeting you soon!