Apply for Visa

Types of Visas

EMU welcomes foreign citizens who come to the US to study or participate in exchange programs. Before applying for a visa, all student and exchange visitor applicants must be admitted to the university. Upon acceptance to Eastern Michigan University, each applicant will receive approval documentation and an I-20 or DS-2019. This document enrolls you in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), a web-based information system used to keep track of student and exchange visitors.

When you receive your I-20 or DS-2010, be sure to verify the accuracy of the information.  If you have any questions, contact EMU International Admissions at [email protected] immediately.

F-1 Student Visa: The visa for people who want to study at an accredited U.S. college or university or to study English at a university or language institute.

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: The visa issued to people who will be participating in an educational or cultural exchange program.

After you have received your I-20 or DS-2019

  • You must pay the SEVIS I-901 fee prior to your visa appointment. Before starting the process be sure to have your I-20 or DS-2019 with you and that your printer is ready. You will need to print a copy of the confirmation page and you will not be able to return to the receipt page once you leave it.  If you are a transfer student from another US academic institution, you may be able to transfer your SEVIS record without paying an additional fee.
  • Make an appointment for a visa interview by contacting the nearest US Embassy or Consulate. Learn how to schedule an appointment for an interview, pay the application processing fee, review embassy specific instructions, and find a list of Embassies and Consulates at the official U.S. Embassy website.

Please note: Canadian students are not required to obtain a visa.

What to bring to your Visa Appointment

Each country has different regulations. Make sure you bring all required documents. These include, but are not limited to:

  • Passport valid for at least 6 months beyond your program start date
  • Eastern Michigan University Letter of Admission
  • Eastern Michigan University visa-qualifying document (I-20 or DS-2019)
  • Financial support documents
  • Proof of SEVIS I-901 payment
  • Proof of visa payment
  • Completed visa application form
  • Transcripts, diplomas, standardized tests scores (such as TOEFL)
  • One photograph- two inches by two inches
  • Knowledge about Eastern Michigan University and anticipated program of study

Showing Nonimmigrant Intent

The F-1 and J-1 visas are nonimmigrant visas. While applying for either visa you must demonstrate intent to return to your home country after completing your academic program. Some possible ways to prove nonimmigrant intent are:

  • Express how you intend to apply your degree from Eastern Michigan University back in your home country after completing your program of study
  • Show close ties to family living in your home country (for example: your parents own property)
  • Show proof of employment in home country after completion of your program of study
  • Show proof of owned real-estate (land, house, apartment)

Immigration Documents Envelope - Do Not Open

The Consular Officer may seal your immigration documents in an envelope and attach it to your passport. Do not open this envelope. The Customs and Border Protection Officer will open the envelope at your port of entry.

Transferring To EMU

Please see the International Admission Office site for complete information on transferring to EMU from a U.S. or overseas university.

Helpful Links About Visas

Skip Section Navigation