Student on Campus

Student and Family Guide


Frequently Asked Questions


  • I'm thinking about EMU - what steps do I need to take?

    That's great! First, check out all of the undergraduate degree programs we offer. Make sure you've completed your FAFSA and that you've added EMU to the list of schools who should receive your information. 

    Apply for EMU online, and watch your mail for your admissions decision letter.

  • How do I get financial aid to help for college?

    The first step is to fill out the FAFSA; that's the universal Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Complete this application even if you think you don't qualify for grants or don't intend to take out student loans! Many scholarships require you to have a FAFSA on file. 

    Once you receive your Student Aid Report (SAR), you'll learn about your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is a measure of your financial aid eligibility. 

    Get more information at EMU's Financial Aid website.

  • I've just been admitted to EMU - now what?

    Congratulations! If you have received your admission packet in the mail, read through it carefully. You'll find instructions on setting up your EMU NetID to gain access to your EMU email. You'll learn a lot more at Fast Track Orientation, so sign up for a session now!

    Download the EMU Engage app for Eagle Rewards now, and get in on the conversation! You can start finding a roommate and making friends, ask questions, and get a feel for EMU's vibe. 

    IMPORTANT: once you have graduated high school, make sure to have your official transcripts sent to EMU. You can probably do this through Parchment. 

    Add these important dates to your calendar:

    • Aug. 28-30: Edge Orientation (for students in the Edge program)
    • Aug. 30-Sep 1: First Three Orientation (all students) 
    • Sept. 4: Classes begin
    • Sept. 10: Last day to make changes to course schedule online
    • Sept. 13: Last day to drop a class for 100% tuition refund
  • What happens at Orientation?

    Fast Track Orientation is a day full of information, and where you'll complete many of the tasks needed to prepare for your first semester. You'll meet with an Academic Advisor, select and register for classes, complete your housing application (if you're living on campus), and have your photo taken for your Eagle One card.

    If you've been accepted to the EMU Edge program, you get to move in early and enjoy early orientation. The food's on us and the fun's on you! Learn more about Edge Orientation now.

    Immediately after Edge Orientation and before classes begin, you'll be kicking it with the entire freshman class at First Three Orientation. Learn more about First Three now.

  • What classes should I take in my first semester?

    You'll have the opportunity to speak with an Academic  Advisor while at Fast Track Orientation, but for now, think about the following:

    • Is your highest Math SAT subscore 510 or less? Use the materials on our website to prepare to take the math placement test at Fast Track
    • Writing and speech classes will prepare you for every other course you'll take at EMU
    • UNIV 101L3: Introduction to the University provides all the study skills and strategies you need to be successful at EMU; the course counts as college credit AND satisfies a graduation requirement
    • A course in your major or in one of the "Knowledge of the Disciplines" categories; those tools gained in UNIV will help tremendously, and you'll have the chance to start using what you learn on Day 1 of your college career
  • I received my Student Aid Report / financial aid package from EMU. Now what?

    Carefully review the awarded funds, including grants, scholarships, and loans and accept the offer(s) online through Remember that loans must be repaid, so don't accept funds you don't need. 

    You may not receive enough in financial aid to cover your entire bill. If you'll still have a balance due, make sure to sign up for the payment plan in July -- this lets you split the balance into 5 payments and does not charge an enrollment fee.

    Make sure you have submitted all required documents for your financial aid to be applied to your ebill. 

  • How do I know which books I need for my classes?

    Refer to this handy textbook guide! Make sure you have your class schedule handy and visit the EMU Bookstore page.  Choose the fall term, and then enter your course prefix and number, e.g., ANTH 135. Choose your specific course CRN from the dropdown list —this is the 5-digit number found on your course schedule.

    Once you have the details on required texts, consider renting and/or e-books whenever possible.

    If you're unable to buy your books before classes start, see the Bottles for Books program at Eagle Study Tables. We have tons of titles on hand for you to check and use while at the EST. A full list is available on the EMU Engage app in the Academic Support tile.

  • I've been offered the chance to apply for the EMU Edge Program - what's that? 

    The EMU Edge is a four-year program of academic support for students. Edge provides students with free academic workshops, training in study skills, academic monitoring, individualized instruction and advising assistance. The majority of students that participate in Edge successfully move on to their sophomore year at Eastern Michigan University.

    You can learn about the Edge Program on our website, email the program coordinator at, or call our office at 734.487.2133. You'll also have the opportunity to talk with the EMU Edge folks in the morning at Fast Track Orientation.

  • Can I get a job on campus? Should I? 

    Absolutely. There are many different on-campus job opportunities, and you can browse the listings at Handshake.  Log in with your emich NetID and password, and set up your profile with your work experience, volunteerism, community service, education, and resume.

    Never had a job before? Not sure how to create a resume? See the folks in EMU's Career Center for help!

    Most students at EMU also hold a part-time job. In fact, taking a full load of classes and working 10-15 hours per week is the typical experience.

    Finding an on-campus job saves you time and money by eliminating the commute, and lets you make friends on campus and stay engaged in the community. 

  • I'll be a freshman; can I have a car on campus?
    Yes! There are specific permits and parking lots for commuters and residents. Sign up for your permit and learn more at ParkEMU.
  • I'm nervous about whether I can be successful at college; where can I get help?

    EMU offers tons of support! Check out our Drop-In Tutoring for subject-specific help, the University Writing Center (UWC) for writing papers, and Success Coaching for help with learning effective study strategies and skills.

    If you enroll in UNIV 101L3 or UNIV 179L3, you'll automatically receive a Success Coach and a Peer Mentor. Count on them to be part of your success support team!

    If you're not currently registered for UNIV, check it out. Keep in mind that Holman Success Center's (HSC) services are free and available to all students at EMU.

Current Student

  • When can I register for classes? 
    Check out the "registration appointments" on the Registar's website. Keep in mind that these aren't actual appointments, but the date and time when your account will be allowed to access registration in 
  • What do I need to do before I can register?

    If you're in the first year here at EMU, you're required to meet with your Academic Advisor prior to registering for classes. This is to make sure that you're following the best and most efficient path to graduation. If your major is "Exploratory," you also need to meet with an Academic Advisor before you can register.

    You'll also need to make sure you have an ebill balance of less than $200, and that you do not have any "holds" on your account. You can check your holds by logging into my.emich and going to the Registration section.

  • What if I can't pay off my ebill in time to register?
    Go to Service EMU and ask about payment plans. If you're not already working, look for a part-time, on-campus job. Working just 10-15 hours each week can really help you overcome that balance. Ask your advisor, Success Coach, and the department of your major about scholarships you might be eligible for.  
  • What do I do if I need to drop or withdraw from a course? What's the difference between "drop" and "withdraw?"

    "Dropping" a course happens within the 100% tuition refund drop period, typically the first week or so of a new semester. "Withdrawing" can refer to just one, two, or even all courses. If you withdraw from a course after the drop period is over, you'll receive a "W" grade for the course. 

    If life circumstances force you to stop attending EMU during the semester, you should definitely ask about withdrawing. Lack of attendance in class does not automatically drop the class for you, and you could receive an F on transcript for each course affected.

    You can find all the details on the Registrar's website, along with contact information if you still have questions. 

    Holman Success Center always recommends students check with a) academic advisor, b) Service EMU, and c) their Success Coach about whether dropping/withdrawing is the right decision. First year students are required to visit the UACDC to withdraw from a course after the 100% drop period.

  • Who can I talk to about my registration status, ebill, or financial aid?

    All of these services are consolidated at Service EMU, our one-stop customer services centers. There are two locations on campus: one on the second floor of the Student Center, and another inside McKenny Hall, across from the UACDC (advising) office.

  • How can I start getting involved on campus?

    EMU has tons of student organizations, so you're likely to find one that's perfect for you. Browse club sports, Greek Life fraternaties and sororities, and other student orgs at Eagle Sync

    Want to give back to the community? VISION is a great way to make friends, get involved, and even fulfill an LBC graduation requirement

Family Members


  • My student had an IEP or 504 plan in high school. How do I make sure they can receive the accommodations they need at EMU?

    EMU has a fantastic Disability Resource Center (DRC) staffed with professionals who collaborate across campus to ensure a great experience for all students, faculty, and staff.  

    Students should start by completing this initial questionnaire. Next, contact the DRC office at 734.487.2410 or email to schedule your first appointment. 

    Your DRC case manager will assist you in navigating the process of receiving and notifying professors of appropriate accommodations.

  • How can I check my student's grades? 

    Unfortunately, there is no "guest" access to a student's account on Canvas, the online portion of an EMU course. Neither Academic Advisors nor Success Coaches have access to a student's individual Canvas course, either. This is mainly due to federal privacy laws, commonly referred to as "FERPA." 

    The best way to check in with your student on their progress is one-on-one and face-to-face.  

    At the end of each semester, faculty enters final grades in A student can view their final grades by logging in to and choosing Student Services > Student Records > Final Grades. Students can view their course grades to date by viewing Student Services > Student Records > Academic Transcript.

  • What are "Edge" program requirements?  


Skip Section Navigation