Mission, Vision and Values
We aspire to be recognized as Southeastern Michigan’s leader in applied business education, developing outstanding and ethical business professionals with global awareness.
We support the economic development of Southeastern Michigan and beyond by preparing graduates to perform effectively and ethically in both local communities and global business environments. As an academic contributor, we develop outstanding business professionals through a rigorous, applied educational experience. Our student, faculty, and staff activities beyond the classroom benefit the local and global communities.
Core Values/Ethos Statement
College of Business students, faculty, and staff comprise a professional, interdependent community committed to perfecting responsible, ethical business professionals to serve business and the wider world. Through a positive learning experience mirroring the business world’s best aspects, the community respects the group’s common mission and the individuals comprising it. Community members foster the COB ethos through behavior growing from eight interrelated values:
- Integrity: Integrity is practicing in all areas of life what we profess to believe. It is commitment to professional standards in the whole person.
- Honesty: Honesty requires respect for the truth; it means being truthful, sincere, and straightforward.
- Trustworthiness: Growing out of integrity and honesty, trustworthiness is the confidence others have that we mean what we say; we can be counted on.
- Respect: Respect is deference or esteem for what we value. We recognize others’ worth as ends, not means. Respect is key to our other values.
- Learning: We value learning as an end in itself and as a practical tool for success in lifelong professional growth. We gain up-to-date, practical and theoretical knowledge through effective, often participative learning and research.
- Work Ethic: We practice self-reliance and responsibility to our business profession and community. We are industrious and often self-supporting.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: We value our diverse community.
- Sustainability: We value the protection of our natural environment, human and ecological health.
More Information on the College of Business
Find out more about the College of Business by reading our strategic plan [PDF].
COB Dean's Office Safe Reopening Plan
Read about the steps we are taking to stay safe and healthy by reading our Safe Reopening Plan [PDF].