Communication Sciences and Disorders

The Communication Sciences and Disorders Program at Eastern Michigan University offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees in Communication Sciences and Disorders. The bachelor of science degree is available with optional elementary or secondary teacher certification. The master of arts degree, required for professional practice in the field, prepares all students to work clinically in a wide variety of settings.


Council on Academic Accreditation. Accredited: Speech-Language Pathology

The Master of Arts (M.A.) education program in speech-language pathology at Eastern Michigan University is a residential program accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard, #310, Rockville, Maryland 20850, 800.498.2071 or 301.296.5700.

Current Accreditation Cycle: 06/01/2017–05/31/2025.

On-site Clinic

The Speech and Hearing Clinic provides graduate students with two semesters of clinical practicum before doing internships at various off campus sites. Students have an opportunity to work with both children and adults for internships.

  • Admissions Expand dropdown


    Admission Criteria

    For admission criteria, please visit the Undergraduate Catalog.

    To apply, fill out the Undergraduate Application Form for the Communication Sciences & Disorders Major/Endorsement.

    For information about admissions, contact the Department of Special Education & Communication Sciences and Disorders at 734.487.3300.

    Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Communication Sciences and Disorders

    Application Deadline

    • January 15 for Fall admission

    Admission Criteria

    For admission criteria, please visit the Undergraduate Catalog.

    To apply, visit the Undergraduate Admission Application and complete the following steps:

    1. In the Basic Application Information section under Select an Application Type, select the Post-Baccalaureate Undergraduate Certificate option.
    2. Choose the desired program.


    Application Deadlines

    • Fall: January 15
    • Winter: June 30

    To enroll as a graduate student at EMU, visit the Admissions section of the Graduate School website.

    NOTE: The Communication Sciences and Disorders program is listed under College of Education. For additional Communication Sciences and Disorders Program requirements, please visit the Graduate Catalog.

    NOTE: The program no longer requires GRE scores as part of its admissions process.

    • Three (3) letters of recommendation (completed on letterhead) from either EMU faculty or non-EMU professionals. Current EMU undergraduates should have EMU faculty use the EMU Internal Recommendation Form [PDF] to complete their letter of recommendation.
    • Personal Essay. The personal essay must address the following:
      • Tell us about what influenced your decision to enter the field of Communication Sciences and Disorders. (word limit: 250)
      • What about our program at EMU interests you? (word limit: 250)
      • Describe a challenging academic/professional situation and how you resolved it. (word limit: 250)
      • What should we know about your background, identity, or learner experiences that are not evident from your transcript? (word limit: 250)
    • CV/Resume (1-2 pages).

    Admission Process for Communication Sciences and Disorders Program

    1. For general information about the university, to request an application, or for information about the status of your application, contact Office of Admissions, Eastern Michigan University, P.O. Box 970, Ypsilanti, MI 48197; Phone: 734.487.3400 or 800.GO.TO.EMU (800.468.6368).

      All transcripts from each institution of higher education attended must be submitted directly to the EMU Office of Admissions. Office of Admissions, address above.

      E-mail for submitting attachments (documents) directly to the admissions office: [email protected]; E-mail for inquiries about your documents/status: [email protected]
    2. Application materials are released to the Communication Sciences and Disorders Graduate Admissions Committee from the Graduate School once all materials are received (i.e., transcripts, letters, GRE scores, etc.).
    3. The applications are initially screened by the graduate coordinator to determine that they meet the eligibility criteria (i.e., GPA, GRE, etc.). Applications that do not meet the minimum criteria will not be considered eligible.
    4. Applications are then reviewed and rated by the graduate coordinator and two (2) members of the admissions committee.
    5. Applicants are recommended for admission based upon rankings determined by the admissions committee. There are 25 applicants recommended for fall admission and 15 for winter admission. Students who are denied admission may request to have their application "rolled-over" for reconsideration by contacting the Graduate Admissions Office. While you do not have to update any materials, if you have retaken the GRE or have redone your personal statement, etc., you may add/swap them out.
  • Resources Expand dropdown
  • FAQs Expand dropdown

    1. Can I apply to to the graduate program in Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) without an undergraduate degree in SLP?

    Yes. You don't need to take any undergraduate courses in SLP before applying. If you meet the admission criteria, you may apply. The undergraduate deficiency courses will be incorporated into your graduate program if you are admitted.

    Approximately 50% of our graduate students have undergraduate degrees from another field.

    2. Is it easier to be admitted for the Winter term than for the Fall term?

    Although many more individuals apply for Fall admission (which means it may be more competitive), there are more slots available at that time. Fewer applicants request admission for the winter (January) start, but there are also fewer slots. We typically admit 25 students for the fall but only 15 for the winter term.

    3. How long will it take to complete the master's degree?

    Without an undergraduate degree in speech-language pathology (SLP), it typically takes approximately three (3) years attending full-time and longer if part-time.

    With an undergraduate degree in speech-language pathology, it typically requires two (2) years full-time (12 months per year).

    4. If I have a teaching certificate (general or special education), may I transfer courses into the Graduate Program?

    Only courses that can be transferred into the graduate program are specific Speech-Language Pathology courses if they were taken at another university.

    If you have a teaching certificate, SPGN 251 will be waived from the undergraduate deficiency courses.

    5. Do you have any classes in the evenings or online?

    We do not offer online, distance learning courses. A majority, but not all, undergraduate courses are offered during the day on campus. Many but not all of the later graduate courses are offered in the evening.

    6. Can I complete the graduate program part-time?

    Yes, but since many classes are offered only during the day, flexibility with your work schedule is helpful.

    7. What is the success rate of students completing your Graduate Program in Speech-Language Pathology for finding jobs in the field?

    View the information under Student Outcome Data [PDF].

    8. What percentage of your graduates pass the PRAXIS, the national examination required by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association to become certified?

    View the information under Student Outcome Data [PDF].

    9. What is your graduate program completion rate?

    View the information under Student Outcome Data [PDF].

    10. What percentage of your graduate students complete the program within the stated time period?

    View the information under Student Outcome Data [PDF].

    11. I would like to become a Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP), but I am not sure that I want to pursue a Teaching Certificate. Do I have any options?

    Yes, you have many choices. Our program prepares graduates to work in both school and health care settings. We do not require our graduate students to pursue the teaching certificate.

    While we encourage students to pursue a teaching credential since it provides valuable knowledge specific to school practice, it is no longer required by the State of Michigan in order to work as an SLP in the schools. However, it is, in fact, still required by some Michigan school districts for employment.

    If you plan to move from Michigan, check the requirements of the prospective state. Many still require a teaching credential for employment in their schools.