Pass/Fail Grading Option

Graduate students may elect a pass/fail grading option when enrolling in undergraduate courses for enrichment that will not apply to a graduate program of study. Courses will appear on an undergraduate academic transcript and will not, therefore, count as hours toward a graduate degree. Undergraduate curriculum deficiency requirements noted on a program of study may not be taken under a pass/fail option, unless approved by a graduate advisor.

Students should enroll in the course, complete the Graduate Request to Take an Undergraduate Course as Pass/Fail, and obtain Program Coordinator approval. The form should then be submitted to the Office of Records and Registration before the end of the first week of the semester. Request forms are available on the Registrar’s website ( Students complete all coursework, and the faculty member submits a letter grade at the end of the semester. The grade is automatically converted to pass/fail for publication on the academic transcript. A student may cancel the pass/fail grading option according to published deadlines and the letter grade submitted by the faculty member will post to the student’s transcript.

Skip Section Navigation