Removing Conditional Admit Status
If you were admitted conditionally, you may remove the conditional admission status by following the guidelines below. Note that you must be fully admitted into a program in order to graduate from it.
Condition 1 Admission (Curriculum Deficiencies)
- If you were admitted under Condition 1, then you had curricular deficiencies related to preparation for graduate study in your program.
- Sign up for and successfully complete the courses identified by your program on the Graduate Admissions Recommendation Form that accompanied your admission letter from the University (sometimes found on a letter of welcome from the department or program). We recommend you discuss your enrollment plans with your graduate advisor before registering for any courses.
- Ask your graduate advisor to verify that your curriculum deficiencies have been overcome and you have successfully completed the required courses.
- Your graduate advisor will send a memo or email to the Office of Admissions indicating that all conditions have been met and your admission status should be changed from Condition 1 to full admit.
- Keep a copy of the memo or email for your records.
Condition 2 Admission (Senior Status)
- At the time of your application, you were completing an undergraduate degree and did not have a degree-posted transcript.
- You have one semester to submit an official sealed transcript or true attested copy to the Office of Admissions. You will not be able to register for classes your second semester on campus until you have submitted your final transcript.
- The Office of Admissions will remove the registration hold once they have received an official copy of your final transcript.
Condition 3 Admission (Language Deficiencies, International Students)
- If you were admitted under Condition 3, an ESL hold will be placed on your registration. This means that course registration will take place through the English as a Second Language office, 318 King Hall.
- International students whose TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB or PTE scores do not meet the minimum for full admission will be required to take the ESL Placement Test upon arrival on campus to determine what ESL courses will be required. The ESL office will register you for ESL courses according to your placement test results.
- Once you have successfully completed the necessary ESL courses, the ESL office will remove the hold and notify the Office of Admissions that Condition 3 requirements have been fulfilled.
Condition 4 Admission (Low Undergraduate Grade Point Average)
- You were admitted with an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) below the university requirement.
- The Graduate Admissions Recommendation Form indicates that you must achieve an overall GPA of a 3.0 or greater at the end of the semester in which you complete your 9th credit hour of graduate work.
- Upon successful completion of 9 credit hours of graduate work with an overall GPA of 3.0 or greater, the Graduate School will notify the Office of Admissions and your program graduate coordinator that you have met the Condition 4 requirement. Your admission status will change to full admit.
- If you do not achieve an overall GPA of a 3.0 or greater at the end of the semester in which you complete your 9th credit hour of graduate work, you will be dismissed from the Graduate School.
Condition 5 Admission (Fresh Start/Academic Renewal)
- You were admitted under the Fresh Start/Academic Renewal program.
- Your record will be reviewed after you have completed at least 9 new credit hours. This is to ensure that you have achieved a GPA of 3.0 or better since enrollment in Fresh Start.
- Upon successful completion of the first 9 credit hours under Fresh Start status, your Condition 5 status will be changed to a full admit. Coursework completed prior to Fresh Start admission will be reviewed. Courses in which you earned a B- or lower grade will be changed to reflect an R (Academic Renewal) grade. This grade will no longer impact your cumulative GPA and will no longer count as a course for which credit was earned.
- Failure to achieve a 3.0 in the first 9 credit hours of graduate work will lead to immediate rescinding of admission without an opportunity to appeal.
Condition 6 Admission (Low Undergraduate Grade Point Average/Program)
- You were admitted with a GPA that meets Graduate School requirements, but not the requirements of your program.
- The Graduate Recommendation Form that accompanied your admission letter will indicate what GPA you must achieve, and by when, to remove the condition.
- Once you have met the requirements of your conditional admit, your graduate advisor will send a memo or an email to the Office of Admissions indicating that all conditions have been met and your admission status should be changed to full admit.