Time to Degree
- Students have seven years to complete the requirements for the doctoral degree from the date of first enrollment in the doctoral program at EMU (see the section on doctoral programs).
- Specialist’s degree requirements must be completed within six years of degree admission if entering with a master’s degree or eight years if entering with a bachelor’s degree.
- Master’s degree requirements must be completed within six years of first enrollment the master’s degree program.
- Combined bachelor’s-master’s programs must be completed within six years of first enrollment in courses numbered 500 and above.
- Graduate Certificate requirements must be completed within three years of first enrollment in a course applicable to the certificate.
Any exception to the time limits indicated above must be approved through the Graduate School petition process and competency must be verified. Regardless of the time limitations above, coursework older than ten years, whether taken at EMU or elsewhere, may not be used to satisfy degree requirements. Use this link to make requests.
Readmission into a closely related program: Students transferring to or admitted into a closely related program may be exempt from the requirement to accrue credit hours post-acceptance into the program. The Graduate School makes the final determination of what constitutes a closely related program if questions arise. Students are required to meet course requirements and minimum credit hour requirements for their new degree program as it is listed in the EMU Graduate Catalog. Further, students must meet the Time Limitations for Degree Completion policy. Under no condition will the requirements of the degree be waived or altered.