Graduate credit may be accepted from other accredited institutions to be used on a graduate degree program at EMU. Acceptable transfer credit(s) will be determined by the department, subject to the approval of the department head/school director and the Office of Records and Registration.
Transfer credit must:
- apply to the EMU degree program;
- have a grade of B or higher (grades of “pass,” “satisfactory,” or “credit” cannot be transferred unless noted on the transcript key as, equivalent to a B or better grade);
- not be out-of-date per the degree time limitation (see below);
- be recommended by the advisor and approved by the Office of Records and Registration;
- be documented as graduate credit on an official graduate transcript from an accredited institution (i.e. appear on a graduate transcript);
- be reflected in the student’s program of study.
Some departments have a more restrictive transfer-credit policy; refer to program information in the graduate catalog for details.
Transfer credit(s) must be evaluated before the graduation degree audit. Official transcripts for courses planned to be transferred to Eastern Michigan University should be on file in the Office of Records and Registration at least one month before the end of the semester in which the student plans to graduate. Such credits are recorded on the student’s record at the time of approval, even if the course is not ultimately used on the program of study.
Request forms are available on the Registrar’s website. Approval of the program coordinator is required before submitting to the Office of Records and Registration.