Leaves of Absence
You may need to request a leave of absence from your position. These special circumstances and the processes of seeking leave are outlined below.
Faculty may contact Academic Human Resources for assistance regarding the types of additional leave (paid and unpaid) and assignment modification that may be available under the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement(s).
***Please note that these programs expired as of 06/30/2021. Information will remain here as a reference.
- Federal Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act (FEPSLA) Transitional Program
- Please download the EMU EPSLA Transition Request form to apply
Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) – New Department of Labor programs
***Please note that these programs are set to expire as of 12/31/2020. Information will remain available here in the event that Congress extends these programs at a later date.
Please download the EMU FFCRA Quick Overview [PDF] for an easy summary
- Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act (EPSLA): Effective April 1, 2020 through December 31,2020. All EMU employees are covered, including temporary employees. EPSLA can be taken only in the event an employee is unable to work or telework. Other requirements apply and all covered employees must meet the eligibility requirements. Please download the EMU EPSLA Leave Request Form [PDF] to apply.
- Emergency Family Medical Leave Act (EFMLA): Effective April 1, 2020 through December 31,2020. All EMU employees are covered, including temporary employees. EFMLA can be taken only in the event an employee is unable to work or telework. Other requirements apply and all covered employees must meet the eligibility requirements. Please download the Staff LOA EFMLA Request Form [PDF] to apply.
In addition, the documents below provide additional information:
- COVID-19 Leave Chart [PDF]
- EMU FFCRA Frequently Asked Questions [PDF]
- Department of Labor Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Questions and Answers
Employees with questions may contact the University Human Resources Benefits Office at [email protected]. Please continue to monitor EMU’s COVID-19 website for updates.
Family and Medical Leave (FMLA)
In general, you can receive leave with or without pay of up to 12 work weeks per rolling year for family or medical purposes. To qualify for FMLA, you'll need to have been employed for at least a year and completed 1250 hours of service (does not include paid or unpaid leave time) immediately before the start date of the leave. Additional information may be found in the University FMLA Guidelines. To apply for FMLA, choose the appropriate form below.
- Employee LOA Request Form [PDF]
- Healthcare provider verification of your health condition
- Healthcare provider verification of your family member's health condition
If you are a member of the armed services, you have certain rights concerning your position in event of deployment. Find out more on the U.S. Department of Labor website. If you are the family member or caregiver of military personnel and need to request leave for medical reasons, please use the qualifying form below.
- Fitness for duty report [PDF]
- Injury/illness of current service member for Military Caregiver Leave
- Injury/illness of a veteran for Military Caregiver Leave
- Military Family Leave for Qualifying Exigency
- Release of medical information form [PDF]
- Workers' compensation buy-back guidelines [PDF]
- Workers' compensation buy-back request form [PDF]