Borrowing, Returning and Renewing
My Account renew EMU Library books and other materials.
Self-serve: items on the 2nd and 3rd floors can found on the shelves and checked out at the self checkout machine at the Circulation Desk on the 1st floor.
- Instructions for placing a request. Items in storage (ARC) must be requested. Other items can be requested if you prefer.
- Users will receive an email when items are ready to be picked up.
- Pick up items via self checkout:
- No appointment needed. Pick up after receiving the email that items are ready during any library hours, usually about 30 minutes after a request is placed.
- Pick up your books on hold at the hold shelves across from the Circulation Desk (shelved by last name).
- Then use the self checkout machine to check them out.
- If your EMU ID card hasn't been connected to your account, alert the circulation desk staff to do so.
- The self-checkout machine can only be used for books owned by Halle Library. MeLCat and ILL books need to be checked out at the circulation desk.
EMU Library books are automatically renewed for you, up to 5 times. See more information on renewals for EMU Library and Interlibrary Loan items.
- Returns should be placed in the book drops located to the left of the circulation desk, outside of the Library’s main entrance, or in the vestibule between the two sets of doors.
- ILL and MeLCat books may be returned in the book drops. Please make sure the book has a white wrapper (ILL) or a green wrapper (MeLCat).
If you are not able to return books in person you may:
- Return via other Michigan libraries that use the RIDES/MeLCat delivery service (free)
- Check to see if your local library is on this list of participating libraries
- Call the library to verify that they are open and currently using the RIDES/Me:Cat delivery service
- Put the books in a sealed box with "Eastern Michigan University -- Halle Library, ZA002" on the outside
- Bring the box to the library and ask that it be placed with their RIDES/MeLCat materials
- Return by mail (at your cost)
- Circulation Department, Bruce T. Halle Library, Eastern Michigan University, 955 West Circle Drive, Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Materials are checked out at the Circulation Desk. By borrowing items, patrons are accepting all circulation policies, and it is the responsibility of the patron to inform themselves of due dates, fines and other policies. Borrowing privileges may be revoked at the discretion of the library.
Who Can Borrow
Identification Required to Borrow
- EMU students, staff and faculty must have their EMU issued ID card to check out items.
- ID cards need to be registered at the Circulation Desk before any items can be borrowed.
- Alumni and visitors using a Library Courtesy Card must also present a state issued driver's license/ID or passport.
Items available for checkout have different Loan Periods & Limits. Some materials are eligible for renewal or an extended check-out date. Overdue fines and replacement fees are assigned based on the item type.