The Presidential Scholarship
The initial Fall 2021 application is now closed. Information for Fall 2022 applicants will become available in August 2021.
Eastern's most prestigious award for incoming first year students, the Presidential Scholarship covers full tuition and room and board for four years (an approximately $97,000 value). Presidential Scholars are active and engaged members of The Honors College at EMU, complementing their academic college experience with further opportunities for critical thinking, community engagement, and leadership. Qualified students can apply for the Presidential Scholarship during their senior year of high school.
Eastern Michigan’s Presidential Scholarships are awarded competitively using the application process detailed below.
Effective for Fall 2021 Applicants
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have made the following change to the criteria for the Presidential Scholarship: Students with a 3.75 GPA or higher are eligible to participate in the competition, as the SAT or ACT requirement will be waived for those students.
In addition to completing the application process, interested prospective students will need to meet the following criteria:
- Be officially admitted to EMU as a traditional incoming Freshman for Fall 2021
- Applicants must have at least a 3.5** cumulative GPA and 25 composite ACT or 1200 SAT (Critical Reading + Math)
- Complete application information (detailed below) by January 4, 2021.
- Visit campus, either virtually or in person, before the application deadline.
- Please note the last day of official campus visits is December 12, 2020 and visits will not resume until the university reopens after the Winter Recess. All visits must have been completed during the 2020 calendar year to qualify for this scholarship.
The application for the Presidential Scholarship consists of two portions:
- Students must register for the Presidential Scholarship by December 18, 2020. (Registration will become available in August 2020.)
- Once registered, you will receive an email with our required supplemental application. *The supplemental application will be available to submit until January 4, 2021.
All required materials must be submitted by January, 4, 2021 at 4:59 p.m.
Application Deadline and Additional Important Dates
- August 2020: Registration becomes available.
- December 18, 2020: Registration Deadline. All students must register for the Presidential Scholarship by this date.
- January 4, 2021: All application materials mentioned in eligibility criteria (including campus visit) must be completed and turned in by this date at 4:59 p.m. No exceptions will be made!
- You must be officially admitted with all documents submitted to EMU by January 4 to be qualified.
- January 20, 2021: Students will be notified about moving on to second round by this date.
- February 6, 2021: Save the Date! All selected finalists will be welcomed to campus to continue on in the competition.
**If your school does not weight grades for honors or AP/IB courses, we'll review your transcripts and recalculate, if necessary.