Eastern Michigan University's General Graduate School Admission Requirements
Applicants must have earned a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution, or an equivalent degree from a non-U.S. institution.A minimum cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale, or 3.0 in the last half of the undergraduate program. Some departments require higher minimum GPAs; see specific program requirements. Applicants who do not meet minimum admission requirements may be considered for conditional admission.
All prospective Graduate students should submit:
- Completed graduate application
- Application fee ($45)
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges/universities (EMU alums do no need to request official transcripts).
Additional requirements, such as standardized test scores, letters of recommendations, department applications or teacher certification, are determined by each academic department. See program requirements noted in the Graduate Catalog.
Students with non-U.S. post-secondary credentials must submit an evaluation of their international transcripts from the Educational Perspectives (EP) credential evaluation service. Click here for additional information.
Eastern Michigan University
Office of Admissions
PO Box 970
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
International Graduate students:
- Permanent Residents: Copy of Alien Registration card/Legal Permanent Resident card.
- Financial Statement of Responsibility for students needing an F1 or J1 visa
- If the name on the bank statement is NOT the applicant please have sponsor fill out the Affidavit of Financial Resources. If you are having difficulty opening this form please download and save the form, and open it in Adobe Acrobat. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows, Mac, or Linux by visiting https://get.adobe.com/reader/
- Other Visa holders – copy of current visa (and employer letter for applicable to work visa type).
- Copy of current passport
English proficiency - an official score report received directly from one of the following test agencies and not more than 2 years old:
- TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language
- IELTS – International English Language Test System
- MELAB – Michigan English Language Assessment Battery
- PTE – Pearson's Test of English
For students who are non-Native speakers of English - minimum English proficiency TOEFL 550 (PBT), IELTS 6.5, MELAB 77, PTE 53
Note: International Students should follow the International Graduate Checklist for additional information on the application requirements and process for international students.
Post Bachelor's Teacher Preparation students need:
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher. Students with below a 2.5 GPA who are seeking admission to the Post-Bachelor's Teacher Preparation should apply for admission as a Second Bachelor's student to begin work that can eventually lead to a teaching certificate. Minimum required undergraduate GPA for Second Bachelor's admission is 2.0.
Students who would like to take graduate courses without formally applying for a specific program of study should still submit all of the above criteria.
An overall GPA of 2.7 or better and a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution are required. If your undergraduate GPA was below a 2.7, seek non-degree admission using the Application for Undergraduate Admission. Your enrollment will be restricted to undergraduate courses.