Registration FAQs

  • What is a course reference number (CRN)?

    A course reference number (CRN) is a five digit number identifying each unique course section that changes every semester. When registering, be sure you have the correct CRN because if you enter an incorrect CRN, you'll register for the wrong class.

  • What effect does a registration or transcript hold have?

    A registration hold prevents you from registering or adding courses, however you may drop or withdraw from a course at any time, regardless, by contacting Records & Registration directly. A transcript hold prevents you from getting an official transcript. All financial holds must be cleared by the issuing office prior to registration. You can check your holds by logging into my.emich and going to the Registration section.

  • What is the maximum number of credit hours I can register for each term?
    The recommended academic course load per semester is 15–18 credit hours, but you may take up to 19 hours, unless you're a first semester freshmen or on academic probation. In those cases, you need permission from the University Advising and Career Development Center. Regardless, if you're considering taking over 19 credit hours, you should consult carefully with an academic advisor before taking an overload. If you wish to take classes in excess of the maximum number permitted, contact the Office of Records & Registration.
    To add classes in excess of the maximum number permitted each term, you must get approval from the Graduate School. You'll need the Petition for Modification/Waiver of Graduate Policies found on the Graduate School website.
  • What is a linked section?

    Linked sections are made up of two or three corresponding course sections you must take together. They often include a lecture and related lab or recitation section. You'll find them often in areas like biology, computer science or music.

  • What is a "department permission required" course or section?

    Certain course sections require permission from the department and are identified in the class schedule book with a "DP" code. Once you have been issued permission online by the department, then login to your my.emich account and register. You can use the web registration system to view any permissions entered for you by clicking "Registration Status".

  • What if I don't meet a course prerequisite?

    You cannot register for a course without meeting the prerequisite(s) unless you meet one of the following criterion.

    • Any exception to the course prerequisite(s), as listed in the University Catalog, must be entered in the system by the academic department prior to registration.
    • If you're a post-baccalaureate students who didn't complete your bachelor’s degree at EMU, your undergraduate coursework is not in our system. You'll still need permission from the academic department prior to registration.
    • Transfer credit is used by the registration system when determining whether or not prerequisites have been met. Only courses transferred in with direct EMU course equivalencies (e.g. ENGL 121), are considered.
    • Course waivers or substitutions are not recorded on our registration system, therefore, permission must be entered by the academic department.
  • What do I do if a course I want is closed?

    Override policies vary so contact the appropriate department for information or authorization. Once you're issued authorization online by the department, you must login to your my.emich account and register for the course. Use the web registration system to view any permissions entered in the system by checking the registration status area. You can also choose to waitlist for a closed course.

  • How do I audit a course?

    If you're already registered for a course, you may choose to audit it for no credit or grade. Auditing is subject to the approval of the department head. Tuition and fees are the same. Forms may be obtained by contacting the the Office of Records and Registration at [email protected].

  • How do I take a course with a pass/fail grading option?
    Undergraduate Students

    A pass/fail grading option is available to any regularly enrolled junior or senior in good standing. A maximum of six, pass/fail courses may be applied toward graduation and are restricted to elective courses only. General education classes and those required for a major or minor, may not be taken pass/fail. If you wish to elect this option, fill out a pass/fail form and submit it to the University Advising and Career Development Center. A grade of" S" counts as credit toward graduation. A grade of "U" (Unsatisfactory) shall be issued to students earning a grade of "F". Neither a pass nor a fail grade shall be used in any way toward the calculation of the grade point average.

    Graduate Students

    A pass/fail grading option is available to graduate students only when enrolling in undergraduate courses for enrichment that don't apply to a graduate program of study. Undergraduate curriculum deficiency requirements noted on a program of study may not be completed with a pass grade, unless approved by the graduate advisor. If you elect this option, fill out a Pass/Fail Application Form** and submit it to the Graduate School. The grade of pass, designated as a grade of "S" (Satisfactory) on the student record, shall be issued to students earning a grade of "D-" or better.

    No graduate courses may be elected for pass/fail credit.

  • How do I receive my final grades for a term?

    Official grades are available online through your my.emich account.

  • Can I repeat a course?

    Credits Earned:

    1. Unless otherwise noted in the course description, credit for any repeated course (including all attempts at EMU and transfer credit granted) will apply only once toward all degree requirements.
    2. The rules below don't apply to courses that can be taken for credit more than once (such as independent studies). Multiple attempts in such courses are not considered repeats and all grades received will be used in determining your grade point average.
    3. If you earned a passing grade in a course or previously received transfer credit for the course, you'll lose the credit if you subsequently retake the course and receive an F. If you receive an incomplete in the final attempt of a repeated course, the most recent earlier grade is the grade of record until the course work is completed and the I is replaced by the grade earned.

    Repeated Courses and Grade Point Average (GPA):

    1. Dropped courses or ones you withdrew from are not counted as attempts for purposes of this policy.
    2. If you repeat a course up to two times (for a total of three attempts), only the last grade received will be used in determining your grade point average. All course attempts with repeats indicated will remain on the permanent record, even if not used to determine the grade point average.
    3. There are no restrictions on the number of times you may take a course, however, the grades earned in the third and all subsequent attempts will be used in determining your grade point average unless explicit permission to have pervious grades for the course eliminated from the calculation is granted by the EMU registrar. You must contact the department head or school director prior to the end of the semester in which the course is repeated to request an exception be recommended to the registrar. Such permission is required for every attempt beyond the third.
    4. There are no restrictions on the number of different courses you may take, however, if you repeat more than 10 different courses, grades for all attempts (from the first on) for the 11th and all subsequent courses will be used in determining your grade point average unless explicit permission to repeat the course is granted by the Academic Standards Committee in advance. You must contact the University Advising and Career Development Center to request permission. Such permission is required for every attempt of every course beyond the 10th.
    5. If you're repeating a course, you may not elect a pass/fail grading option if the grade of record for the course is a letter grade.
  • What is an incomplete (I) grade?

    An incomplete (I) grade is awarded only when you completed the majority of the work of a course and your work has been of acceptable quality (C or better for undergraduate students, B or better for graduate students), but the required amount of work has not been completed due to illness, necessary absence or other satisfactory reasons. It is never applied to poor work or willful non-attendance of class. You must inform the instructor of the reason for the requested incomplete and the instructor is at his or her discretion to agree to the request.

    If you receive a grade of incomplete (I) in a course, you should not re-register for the course. An I grade must be replaced by a grade within one calendar year from the end of the semester or session in which the grade was given. The initiative for removal of an incomplete rests with you. If not converted by the end of the one-year period, the incomplete will remain as a permanent part of your record. Incomplete grades received in thesis-type courses are not governed by these regulations.

  • How do I obtain a directory exclusion?

    If you don't want to be included in the annual EMU Student Directory or the online directory, you should complete a directory exclusion form [PDF] and return it in person to either Service EMU location, by mail to the Records and Registration Office or by fax to 734.487.6808. The forms must be turned in by September 15 to be excluded from that academic year's printed directory and all subsequent directories.

  • How do I calculate my GPA?

    EMU uses a 4.0 scale for GPA calculations. To calculate your GPA, list your courses, the credits and grade for each course. Use the chart found in the link below to determine the grade points for each course (this is determined by multiplying the grade points by the number of credits for the course). Add up all of the grade points. Divide this total by the total number of credit hours included. The result will be your grade point average, using the scale in our current university computer system. A complete GPA calculation guide [PDF] is available for additional instructions. You may also visit the UACDC website for an online GPA calculator.

  • How do I file a grade grievance?

    A grade grievance can be filed if you dispute a grade given. There are up to three steps in this process, beginning with contacting the instructor within 10 working days after the start of the following semester. If the situation is not resolved to your satisfaction after this first step, additional steps and directions may be followed according to the grade grievance procedure guide [PDF].

  • What is the EMU grade key?

    View a copy of the most current grade key [PDF].

  • What is a cumulative completion rate (CCR) and how is it calculated?

    The CCR is the calculation of your cumulative completion rate using your EMU earned hours divided by your attempted hours. This calculation is now being used in part to determine undergraduate standing via the academic standing policy. Please contact the UACDC office at 734.487.2170 with questions regarding this new policy. *Please note: Your financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress CCR may be different. Contact Financial Aid at 734.487.0455 if you have questions.

  • How do I find textbook information for my courses?

    Textbook information may be found at the time of registration through your my.emich account under the 'LookUp Text Books' link in the 'Registration' menu.

Skip Section Navigation