To graduate from EMU, you must fulfill general requirements, satisfy major and minor requirements and earn a Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts or one of the baccalaureate degrees as authorized by the University. You must also submit an application for graduation online via my.emich.
The minimum number of credits hours required for graduation is 124. To earn a degree, you must complete:
- Fall 2007 general education requirements [PDF]
- A major of 30 to 36 hours and a minor of 20 to 24 hours (as specified in fields of study) or complete a self-contained program of 50–60 hours
- Electives to equal the minimum total of 124 hours
- All other university requirements [PDF]
The catalog requirements in effect at the time your initial registration at EMU or the requirements of a subsequent catalog may be used to complete graduation requirements.
If you don't complete degree requirements within seven years of the date of your original registration, you may be required to have your credits re-evaluated by the Office of Records and Registration in keeping with more recent catalog requirements.
Each student must complete a major subject of at least 30 semester hours and a minor subject of not less than 20 semester hours, with the following two exceptions:
- A student in the elementary teaching curriculum may present three minors of not less than 20 semester hours, each of which are subject fields taught in the elementary grades.
- A student who completes one of the following programs will automatically satisfy major-minor requirements:
- Specialized programs for teachers of art, business education, industrial education and music
- Professional programs in applied science, business education, industrial education and music or
- Professional programs in applied science, business administration, clinical laboratory science, criminal justice, nursing, music therapy, industrial technology, interior design, occupational therapy, health administration, language and international trade and social work
Credit hours counted on a minor may not be applied to a major or another minor or vice versa. General education courses may be applied towards a major or a minor where appropriate. Professional education courses do not count toward majors and minors except in cases in which such courses are specifically required or indicated as permissible as part of a major or minor.
All students, including transfer students, must complete at EMU the following minimum requirements in advanced courses numbered 300 or above in their majors and minors, unless specifically exempted by the department concerned:
- At least nine hours in majors.
- At least six hours in minors.
- At least 15 hours in curricula encompassing both major and minor requirements.
U.achieve: EMU's UG Degree Evaluation Tool
To receive information about progress to graduation, log into your my.emich account and run an online audit. You might find these guides helpful:
- How to Read an Audit [PDF]
- How to Run an Audit - Students [PDF]
- How to PowerPoint-Students [PPTX]
- How to Run an Audit-Faculty/Staff [PDF]
- How to PowerPoint-Faculty/Staff [PPTX]
- Legend Key [PDF]