Enrollment Status

Wondering what your enrollment status is? Find out below.


  • Full-time: 12 credits in Fall/Winter and 12 credits in Summer
  • Half-time: Six credits in Fall/Winter and six credits in Summer


  • Full-time: Eight credits in Fall/Winter and eight credits in Summer
  • Half-time: Four credits in Fall/Winter and four credits in Summer

Attention Students who Hold an F or J Visa

To avoid being out-of-status, it's your responsibility to report any change in name, current address of residence, academic status (full or part-time enrollment), date of program completion, program/major change, level change (undergraduate to graduate), change in funding source (employment or graduate assistant position), probation or disciplinary action leading to suspension due to conviction of a crime within 10 days to the Office of International Students (244 Student Center).

EMU has 21 days from the date of the reported event to inform the U.S. Government Bureau of Border Security. OIS enters the data into a real-time database and new documents or I-20's are then issued to you.

Remember that dropping or withdrawing a course(s) may put you below full-time enrollment. Before a drop/withdrawal change is made that reduces enrollment below full-time status, you must receive permission from the Office of International Students (OIS). If you plan to transfer to another university, this process must begin before the end of your last semester at EMU; contact the OIS. Noncompliance could result in actions leading up to a fine, arrest or deportation per the U.S. Government.


If it has been more than two years since you last registered for classes at EMU, you must re-enroll before you can register for classes.

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students can re-enroll by completing a re-enrollment application and submitting it in-person at either of the two Service EMU locations, McKenny or The Student Center, by faxing it to 734.487.6808 or sending via email attachment to [email protected].

You'll be notified via regular mail once your application has been processed. Included in this documentation will be a welcome back letter [PDF] with a few next-step instructions and some current EMU policies and procedures that have recently changed.

Graduate Students

Graduate students must submit a brand new application and application fee. Please visit the Office of Admissions for additional information.

Skip Section Navigation