Fellowship/Scholarship Information

Fellowships and scholarships have unique taxation rules that depend on the use of the funds. The university, as a withholding agent, is not required to withhold on fellowships or scholarships unless the recipient is a nonresident alien.

A true scholarship will be reported by Eastern Michigan University on a Form 1098-T.

If you are a nonresident alien, you will receive a Form 1042S at calendar year-end for the amount you received in fellowship or scholarship funds.

For general information on the reporting of scholarships and fellowships to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) please click the attachment under Resources on the right side of this page.

Skip Section Navigation