There is a place for all students to participate in the EMU Bands! Anyone interested in joining our winter semester Concert Band may enroll without audition permission. If you are interested in being part of athletic bands at EMU (marching band or basketball band), please go to the marching band page instead for this information.
Auditions will be held during the first week of classes in September and for select instruments in January. All music majors who are wind, brass, and percussion principals must audition for large ensemble placements on these dates. Auditions will be heard by conductors and applied faculty during pre-announced blocks of time. Non-music majors are welcome to audition for Symphonic Band or Wind Symphony, or to participate in Concert Band during the winter semester.
School of Music & Dance policy requires music education or performance majors who elect to register for principal applied study beyond curriculum requirements must participate in a large ensemble concurrently, unless an exemption is granted by the school director.
Each audition will be approximately seven minutes in length (percussion ten minutes) and consist of the following:
- Solo material(s) of your choice demonstrating both your technical and lyrical performance ability. Percussionist must prepare a mallet solo.
- Assigned excerpts: Wind, brass and percussion repertoire excerpts are provided below in PDF format. These are required of all music majors, and any non-music majors interested in Wind Symphony, or Symphony Orchestra*
- A short sight-reading sample may be included at the time of your audition.
* non-music majors electing to play in Symphonic Band should play a representative solo only.
Audition Sign-Up Procedure
An audition sign-up form will be available online beginning two weeks prior to the first audition day. Time slots will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. If you must schedule your audition outside of the time reserved for your instrument (due to a class conflict) you must obtain permission from a conductor. It is highly recommended that music majors audition during their scheduled instrument block.
- Contact EMU Bands at [email protected] or by phone at 734.487.1430.
- Please review this Audition Advice [PDF] prior to your scheduled ensemble audition.
Excerpts for each instrument will be posted here by August 1 each summer, in preparation for fall auditions.