Concert Ensemble auditions will be held during the first week of classes in September. All music majors who are wind, brass, and percussion principals will audition for large ensemble placements on these dates. Auditions will be heard by conductors and applied faculty during pre-announced blocks of time.
School of Music & Dance policy requires music education or performance majors who elect to register for principal applied study beyond curriculum requirements must participate in a large ensemble concurrently, unless an exemption is granted by the school director.
Each audition will be approximately seven minutes in length (percussion ten minutes) and consist of the following:
- Solo material(s) of your choice demonstrating both your technical and lyrical performance ability. Percussionist must prepare a mallet solo.
- Assigned excerpts: Wind, brass and percussion repertoire excerpts are provided below in PDF format. These are required of all music majors, and any non-music majors interested in Wind Symphony, or Symphony Orchestra*
- A short sight-reading sample may be included at the time of your audition.
* non-music majors electing to play in Symphonic Band should play a representative solo only.
Audition Sign-Up Procedure
An audition sign-up form will be available online beginning two weeks prior to the first audition day. Time slots will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. If you must schedule your audition outside of the time reserved for your instrument (due to a class conflict) you must obtain permission from a conductor. It is highly recommended that music majors audition during their scheduled instrument block.
- Contact EMU Bands at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 734.487.1430.
- Please review this Audition Advice [PDF] prior to your scheduled ensemble audition.
- Flute/Piccolo [PDF]
- Oboe [PDF]
- Clarinet [PDF]
- Bassoon [PDF]
- Saxophone [PDF]
- Horn [PDF]
- Trumpet [PDF]
- Trombone or Bass Trombone [PDF]
- Euphonium [PDF]
- Tuba [PDF]
- Percussion [PDF]