The EMU Marching Band has a long tradition of musical and entertainment excellence. Comprised of nearly 200 students, the EMU Marching Band represents nearly every major on campus. The band has a rich 125-year history of serving EMU at athletic functions, parades, and events. The Marching Band performs for all home football games; participates in Homecoming, Band Night, and Family Day activities; performs exhibitions at area and national marching band festivals and competitions; and travels to one or two away games each year. Membership is open to any student in the university by audition and field try-out at the annual pre-season Band Camp, held in August prior to the Fall Semester.
- Enroll for the EMUMB (MUEN149L1) with the CRN 14017 for one credit.
- The EMUMB rehearses Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 4:05–6:05 p.m. and Saturdays prior to games or events.
- The band provides the following instruments for its members: piccolo, tenor saxophone, mellophone, baritone, sousaphone, flag, and drumline (snare, quads, bass drum, cymbal)
- There is a $75 participation fee.
2019 Performance Schedule
The band performs at all home football games, special campus events like the homecoming pep rally and Bandorama and potential bowl appearances. We also perform at select exhibitions.
- Saturday, September 21: EMU vs. Central CT State (Family Picnic), 3 p.m.
- Saturday, September 28: March-A-Thon, 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Saturday, October 12: EMU vs. Ball State (Homecoming/Alumni Band), 2 p.m.
- Saturday, October 19: EMU vs. Western Michigan (Band Day), TBA
- Saturday, October 26: Lakeland HS exhibition, TBA
- Saturday, November 2: EMU vs. Buffalo, TBA
- Saturday, November 23: Bandorama, 7 p.m.
- Friday, November 29: EMU vs. Kent State, TBA
2019 Audition Information
- All incoming students will audition at Pre-Camp held on Saturday, August 3, 2019. This audition is for part placement and consists of playing your full range chromatic scale, the Eagle's Fight Song, and sight-reading.
- EMU Color Guard auditions will take place August 3–4 at pre-camp!
Join us on October 19 at our home game against Western Michigan University! We are planning on a noon kickoff but if the game is announced to start later we will have a number of activities lined up.
We welcome friends and family of the EMUMB to enjoy a lunch catered outside the stadium by Haabs Restaurant followed by our first home football game of the year vs. Central CT State University on Saturday, September 21.
We can't wait to see you again! Come back to campus on October 12. Re-connect with friends and re-live the gameday experience!
This organization provides spirited musical entertainment at regular home games and post-season tournament play, including the Mid-American Conference and NCAA Tournaments, in support of the EMU men’s and women’s basketball teams. Consisting primarily of non-music majors, members are selected by audition during the fall semester each year.
EMU Marching Band Staff
- Dr. Mary K. Schneider, director of bands
- Dr. Chandler L. Wilson, assoc. director of bands, EMU marching band director
- Professor John Dorsey, professor of percussion
- Jason Ihnat, drumline instructor
- Professor Harry Bowen, announcer
- Taylor Nash, uniforms and athletic bands librarian
- David Rega, equipment staff
- Megan Satawa, equipment staff
N101 Alexander Building
Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
734.487.1430 | email@example.com