The EMU Marching Band has a long tradition of musical and entertainment excellence. Comprised of nearly 200 students, the EMU Marching Band represents nearly every major on campus. "The Pride of the Peninsula" marching band has a rich 125-year history of serving EMU at athletic functions, parades, and events. The Marching Band performs for all home football games; participates in Homecoming, Band Day/Night, and Family Day activities; performs exhibitions at area and national marching band festivals and competitions; and travels to one or two away games each year. Membership is open to any student in the university by audition and field try-out at the annual pre-season Band Camp, held in August prior to the Fall Semester. The band was recently honored to perform at Ford Field for the Detroit Lions halftime show.
- Enroll for the EMUMB (MUEN149L1) with the CRN 14017 for one credit.
- The EMUMB rehearses Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 4:05–6:05 p.m. and Saturdays prior to games or events.
- The band provides the following instruments for its members: piccolo, tenor saxophone, mellophone, baritone, sousaphone, flag, and drumline (snare, quads, bass drum, cymbal)
- There is a $75 course participation fee.
2019 Performance Schedule
The band performs at all home football games, special campus events like the homecoming pep rally and Bandorama and potential bowl appearances. We also perform at select exhibitions.
- Saturday, September 21: EMU vs. Central CT State (Family Picnic), 3 p.m.
- Saturday, September 28: March-A-Thon, 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Saturday, October 12: EMU vs. Ball State (Homecoming/Alumni Band), 2 p.m.
- Saturday, October 19: EMU vs. Western Michigan (Band Day), 3 p.m. rehearsal, 7 p.m. kickoff
- Saturday, October 26: Lakeland HS exhibition, TBA
- Saturday, November 2: EMU vs. Buffalo, TBA
- Saturday, November 23: Bandorama, 7 p.m.
- Friday, November 29: EMU vs. Kent State, TBA
2019 Audition Information
- All incoming students will audition at Pre-Camp held on Saturday, August 3, 2019. This audition is for part placement and consists of playing your full range chromatic scale, the Eagle's Fight Song, and sight-reading. You can still be in marching Band even if you cannot attend Pre-Camp! Just let us know, and you can audition for part placement on the first day of Band Camp in August.
- EMU Color Guard auditions will take place August 3–4 at pre-camp.
- Drumline auditions are held in the spring. Interested students should attend training practices prior to auditions.
Band Day at the Factory - October 19
We invite high school marching bands to join us on Saturday, October 19 at our home game against Western Michigan University! Arrive to Rynearson at 1:30 p.m. for meet-n-greet, rehearsal and Eagle Walk at 4:45 p.m., before the 7 p.m. kickoff. More information available with registration or by contacting the band office.
We welcome friends and family of the EMUMB to enjoy a lunch catered outside the stadium by Haabs Restaurant followed by our first home football game of the year vs. Central CT State University on Saturday, September 21.
Kick off is set for 3 p.m. and discounted General Admission game tickets are available through the EMU Bands for $10 each. Buffet lunch tickets are $15 per adult and $10 per child (12 and under). EMU Marching Band members' meals are provided and do not need to be purchased. Parking available in the Stadium Parking Lot located on the West side of Rynearson Stadium.9–11 a.m.: EMU Marching Band - open rehearsal (please use Gate 5 at the northwest corner of the stadium)11 a.m.–1 p.m.: General check-in and ticket pick up.1–2 p.m.: Picnic lunch on the Northwest lawn of Rynearson Stadium2:40 p.m.: Pre-Game Performance3 p.m.: Kickoff - Go Green!
Alumni Band | Homecoming October 12
We can't wait to see you again! Come back to campus on October 12. Re-connect with friends and re-live the gameday experience. We will gather for coffee and donuts social time starting at 8:30 a.m. on the track. Alumni Band will join the EMUMB on the field for rehearsal from 9:15-10 a.m. Then experience the band spirit at "Eagle Walk" at 11:45 a.m. when the team arrives at the stadium entrance. Our pre-game performance will occur at 1:45 p.m., prior to the 2:05 p.m. kickoff! Go Green!
This organization provides spirited musical entertainment at regular home games and post-season tournament play, including the Mid-American Conference and NCAA Tournaments, in support of the EMU men’s and women’s basketball teams. Consisting primarily of non-music majors, members are selected by audition during the fall semester each year.
EMU Marching Band Staff
- Dr. Mary K. Schneider, director of bands
- Dr. Chandler L. Wilson, assoc. director of bands, EMU marching band director
- Professor John Dorsey, professor of percussion
- Jason Ihnat, drumline instructor
- Chelsea Lee, color guard instructor
- Professor Harry Bowen, announcer
- Suzanne Kessler, administrative & events assistant
- Taylor Nash, uniforms and athletic bands librarian
- David Rega, equipment staff
- Megan Satawa, equipment staff
N101 Alexander Building
Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
734.487.1430 | email@example.com