Graduate Application Information
All students must apply to the EMU Graduate School for Graduate Admissions. As part of the application process, official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must be submitted to the Graduate School. Applicants must have an undergraduate degree in music or its equivalent.
International students, please visit International Admissions for additional information and support.
School of Music and Dance Application
All students must also submit an online Graduate Music Application at least seven days prior to the audition date. As part of this process, applicants will provide names and contact information for two recommenders.
(Note: Because applied study is optional for Music Education graduate students, only those wishing to pursue applied study are required to complete an audition. Therefore, all other applications to this program will be considered on an ongoing basis.)
Graduate assistantships within the School of Music and Dance include work in collaborative piano, keyboard harmony, events management and with ensembles (band, orchestra, choir, or opera). Applicants will have an opportunity to indicate their interest in being considered for a graduate assistantship on the School of Music and Dance application form. Visit the Graduate School to view a listing of graduate assistantship opportunities and to complete a graduate assistant application. Note: graduate assistantship openings that begin in the fall term will be posted the preceding January.
During the academic year 2021-2022, EMU School of Music & Dance auditions will be offered with the choice of in-person or remote. If you chose to audition remotely, after you complete the audition application, send an email to Dr. Babcock expressing that you would like to audition remotely.
If you are auditioning remotely, create a video of your audition and post it as unlisted to YouTube. Send the link to the video to [email protected] no later than 1 day prior to your chosen audition date. Accompaniment for remote auditions (live or pre-recorded) is required for vocal auditions only. (Accompaniment will be provided for in-person vocal auditions.)
- Principal Instrument/Voice Audition – Required of all performance and piano pedagogy applicants and those music education applicants wishing to pursue applied study. Music education applicants who do not wish to take applied lessons do not need to complete an audition and may apply at any time.
- Graduate Music Theory Placement Exam – Required of all applicants.
- Program Interview – Required of all applicants.
- Original Compositions - Required of Master of Music in Composition applicants.
Required of students applying for the Master of Music in Composition degree. Please submit print or digital scores with recordings (live or computer generated mp3's) for two original compositions to:
Dr. Donald Babcock, Admissions Coordinator
School of Music and Dance
N101B Alexander Music Building
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
2020-2021 Audition Dates
- Friday, November 5, 2021
- Saturday, January 15, 2022
- Friday, February 11, 2022
- Friday, March 18, 2022
Official audition results are determined by the director of the School of Music and Dance based on the recommendations of the music faculty and are mailed to the applicant, normally within ten business days of the audition.
You'll receive an email confirmation of your audition day approximately two weeks prior to your scheduled audition. The typical schedule for those auditioning in January, February and March is:
- 10 a.m. – Registration and refreshments (lobby, Alexander Music Building)
- 10:30–11:30 a.m. – Audition and program interview
- 11:30 a.m. – Lunch (Wise Room, Commons)
- 12:30 p.m. – Campus mini-tour (Student Center, Halle Library and Pease Auditorium)
- 1:30 p.m. – Graduate music theory placement exam
- 2:30–3:30 p.m. – Advising with Dr. Pierce (optional)
When you arrive on the EMU campus, we suggest that you park in the Alexander Parking Lot, next to the music building. Parking for our audition day guests is free; simply bring your parking stub to the registration table for validation. We look forward to seeing you on Audition Day at EMU!
If you have questions concerning the Music and Dance application process, please contact Dr. Donald Babcock, admissions coordinator.