EMU Voices * NEW ANNOUNCEMENT
*We are pleased to announce an additional vocal ensemble to the EMU Choral Program. EMU VOICES will be our new auditioned chamber ensemble for SSA literature. With membership between 16-24 voices, this high-level performing ensemble will dedicate itself to choral art music for soprano and alto voices.
If you would like to be a member of the EMU Voices simply register for MUEN 131 under the EMU Voices section. All sopranos and altos will meet with Dr. Johnson to discuss the desired placement (Voices/ EMU Choir) during the audition process. The ensemble will meet MWF from 1-2:15 p.m.
The audition process for both auditioned select ensembles will be the same.
Auditions will be held the last week of August, 2021 for the Academic year 2021-2022. The audition sign-up will appear on this page the second week of August.
The EMU Choir & EMU Voices (MUEN 131) requires an audition and is a year-long commitment. There are some exceptions to this rule so it never hurts to contact Dr. Johnson to express your interest. The EMU Choir tour will be held each year during the winter break, this is a mandatory part of the EMU Choir and may require a touring fee ($200-$500) depending on destination.
- Send an email to Brandon Johnson, the conductor if you have any questions.
- Prepare one piece to sing for the audition.
- Show up a few minutes early in Room 109 Alexander Building at the agreed upon audition time.
- Fill out the provided audition sheet.
Your audition will include:
- Vocalization and range check.
- Tonal memory-The conductor will play a few pitches on piano, you sing them.
- Your prepared pieces.
- Select a piece that you believe shows off your best vocal quality.
- It does not have to be an art song. It can be in any style you choose.
- You may choose accompanied music but no pianist is provided and you will be asked to sing a cappella.
- Your prepared piece does not need to be memorized.
- Don't worry, just do your best.
- Solfege is not required but suggested.
Auditions can bring anxiety. Please think of this time as an opportunity to visit with the choral faculty and determine what kind of singing you want to be doing and how much time you would like to commit. Remember, we want you to sing with us.