If you would like to be a member of the EMU Men's Choir (MUEN 135), EMU Women's Choir (MUEN 134) or EMU Express (MUEN 177), simply register and show up on the first day of class. These ensembles are open to all students, faculty and staff by registering through your my.emich account.
The EMU Choir (MUEN 131) requires an audition and is a year-long commitment. There are some exceptions to this rule so it never hurts to contact Dr. Johnson to express your interest.
How do I set up an audition?
- Stop by the choral rehearsal room (109 Alexander) the first week of class to sign up for an audition time.
- Prepare one piece to sing for the audition.
- Show up a few minutes early in Room 109 Alexander Building at the agreed upon audition time.
- Fill out the provided audition sheet.
Your audition will include:
- Vocalization and range check
- Tonal memory
- The conductor will play a few pitches on piano, you sing them
- Your prepared pieces
- Select a piece that you believe shows off your best vocal quality.
- It does not have to be an art song. It can be in any style you choose
- You may choose accompanied music but no pianist is provided and you will be asked to sing a cappella
- Your prepared piece does not need to be memorized
- Don't worry, just do your best
- Solfege is not required but suggested
Auditions can bring anxiety. Please think of this time as an opportunity to visit with the choral faculty and determine what kind of singing you want to be doing and how much time you would like to commit. Remember, we want you to sing with us.